Author Topic: Wexford Family History  (Read 3171 times)

Offline elemef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wexford Family History
« on: Thursday 15 September 16 11:58 BST (UK) »
1) I have e.mailed twice over three weeks the Wexford Family History web site: (*) with no response. Can anybody help me make progress.
2) I've done a substantial amount of research over the years in tracking my Irish roots to the townland of, Jamestown in Oylgate. I wish to engage a professional researcher to help me further before I make a further visit to Wexford; can anybody make a recommendation. .
3) I have found some members of my family, Roman Catholics, buried in Garrynisk Cemetery, Edermine; can anyone tell me the name of the now demolished church that was on the site, and where the birth, marriage, and deaths records are. This does not seem to be a catholic burial ground!
4) Prior to the establishment of St Davids church at Oylgate in 1804, my family births and marriages ,via Ancestry, simply states 'WEXFORD' but never any name of church. Can anybody offer an educated guess as to the name of our family church in Wexford.

I would be pleased to receive any offer of help and guidance.

Laurence M. Furlong. 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Wexford Family History
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 16 16:01 BST (UK) »
1&2) I suspect Mr Murphy is no longer active in genealogy (though I hope I am wrong). He was wonderfully well informed, and was my go-to local researcher.

3) Garrynisk is in the parish of Blackwater. Is this graveyard really (officially) in Garrynisk? The historic OSI maps available online show a burial ground one field to the south of Garrynisk, in the townland of Ballyroe, labeled "Moneyboy burial ground", but none in Garynisk itself.
- UPDATE. Just realized that there are two separate Garrynisks in Co. Wexford! The one I referred to above is the one in Blackwater. You are talking about the second one, the site of the old church of Edermine, in the Catholic Parish of Oylegate. So, with that confusion sorted out, the correct answers to your question 3) are as follows: that the name of the now demolished church of Edermine is Edermine; the CofI records for Edermine are not extant; the relevant Catholic records are those for Oylegate; it is a Catholic burial ground, see other thread.

4) You would need to tell us what the Ancestry records are, and are sourced from, to make any meaningful comment on your last query.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 16 01:26 BST (UK) »
Just to say that I was perplexed by the lack of reference to a Garrynisk cemetery in official sources. I believe the solution is that this cemetery is officially located in the townland of Glebe. In my youth I often fished from Edermine bridge, just a short distance from this location.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Pucksheen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 January 17 16:03 GMT (UK) »
This cemetery is called Garrynisk cemetery - many people from the Shannon area of Enniscorthy were buried there. It is located just off the main N11 Road from Enniscorthy to Oilgate on the left
Many of the records could be help in the Cathedral, Enniscorthy. If so, some might be available online.
There is still an annual patron in this graveyard. It is well maintained by local people.
The coordinates are 52°27'13.9"N 6°33'05.0"W and can be viewed on Googlemaps

Offline elemef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 January 17 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I have visited Garrynisk Cemetery, at The Glebe. I have the strong impression that this cemetery was administered by the Church of Ireland, and that there was a church on the site originally; although my catholic family members were buried there.  (Catholics in this area were served by St Davids, Oylgate, and Catholic Church at Glenbrien. I doubt therefore that burial registers would be held at the Cathedral in Enniscorthy which is Catholic. I am really very surprised at the lack of public knowledge of this church and cemetery. So, my quest continues to establish the name of the original church, and any birth, marriages, and death records.   

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 January 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Why don't you just email the Parish and ask??

http://homepage.eircom.net/~breeparish/Newsletter/06-02-2011.htm
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 January 17 23:56 GMT (UK) »
It would appear as Wexflyer said, it is called Edermine Church
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WX&regno=15702636
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WX&regno=15702637

Indeed. Laurence's queries have already been answered several times over.  I know it is frustrating that family history research is so challenging in Ireland, but at some point we simply have to accept that nonexistent records simply are just that, non-existent.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 January 17 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Why don't you just email the Parish and ask??

http://homepage.eircom.net/~breeparish/Newsletter/06-02-2011.htm

I doubt the OP should contact Bree, as Bree is not the relevant parish. In any case, these queries have already been answered both here and in other threads.