Author Topic: Marcella M Roughton  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marcella M Roughton
« on: Thursday 15 September 16 12:20 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate some assistance. I wish to establish if her husband was Joseph Bassett, the son of Joseph Bassett and Mary Howlett, who was born 1850 at Swaffham,Norfolk (birth reg there 2nd qtr 1850). He was baptised May 29,1850 in parish of Gooderstone,Norfolk. In 1897 he had married Jane Gilbson and with her had several children. Jane died in 1921 and Joseph died in 1936 at Yorkshire East Riding.

I have a marriage record of a Joseph Bassett to a Marcella M. Roughton 4th qtr 1934 at Sculcoates, East Riding Yorkshire vol 9d pg 507. Also have a death for Marcella M. Bassett born 1897 death reg 2nd qtr 1938 age 41 Yorkshire East Riding.

I have not been able to find out anything else about Marcella. If the Joseph Bassett she married matches the Joseph Bassett I am interested in as described above then please provide any other information you can find for her. If her husband is not " my" Joseph Bassett please confirm.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marcella M Roughton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 16 12:26 BST (UK) »
S is it Marcella you are following, or the Joseph Bassett from Swaffham?

If you get the marriage cert it will give you the father's names.

Have you looked for a Will for Joseph to see if he leaves a widow Marcella?  Is Marcella the informant on his death cert?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 16 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hello 'Lizdb'

I am interested in Marcella only if her husband matches the details I gave for the Joseph Bassett on my tree.

I know I can order a death certificate for her but I need to establish first if she is the wife of the Joseph Bassett I gave details for, otherwise ordering it would be  a waste of time and money. I have spent a lot of money ordering certificates for other possible relatives only to find they were no good to me.

No will found for my Joseph Bassett and no burial information either. Just a death registration record.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
Sometimes you need to order certs etc to establish the facts though!

If you are following Joseph, and want to know if he has a second marriage to this Marcella, then best to order the marriage cert.  No point ordering her death cert as you say, especially as she died after your Joseph - it would be his death cert to get, and he is related!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 16 19:27 BST (UK) »
Apart from ordering certificates at a big expense there must be another way of finding out the answer to my inquiry.

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 September 16 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did you see there were two marriages for a Joseph Bassett in Hull. The other one was

1932  married Blanche Brook (Registry Office or Registrar attended)

The marriage with Marcella took place in Registry Office or Registrar attended

http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi

The chances of any on-line records to help is zero I would guess.

By th way, Do you have the details of his previous marriage to Jane and children from that marriage?
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 September 16 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi I believe you will find Marcella M as Marcella Muriel Longstaff b 1897 Hull, she married a John E Roughton March qtr 1918 Sculcoates 9d 259 as MARCELLE M Longstaff

Keyboard86

EDIT The baptism of Marcella appears to have the wrong year of birth namely:-

Born 7th July 1895 Marcella MURIAL Longstaff (Registration Sept qtr 1896 ) baptism 11th May 1902 Hull, Holy Trinity Father Edward Stead Longstaff occ Surgeon/Dentist and Mother Phoebe abode 13, Claremont Terrace, Day Street

Edward Stead Longstaff died Dec qtr 1895 Sculcoates 9d 151 aged 35
There is a record for him on the Probate Calender he died 16th December 1896?? at 23, Caroline Place, Kingston-upon-Hull occ Dentist Admin York to Phoebe Longstaff Widow Effects £44

Marcella appears to have had a " thing" for older men, as a John E Roughton died June qtr 1931 Sculcoates 9d 211 aged 57
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 September 16 10:08 BST (UK) »
Yes 'Goughy' I have the details of Joseph's marriage to Jane Gibson and their children. Its just information about other marriages he may have had that is of interest to me.

Thank you all for your replies to my inquiry.

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 September 16 10:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry if my post didn't make it clear.  Joseph was married BEFORE he married Jane to someone called "Mary", and on the census return he had a couple of children. 
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)