Author Topic: Marcella M Roughton  (Read 2881 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marcella M Roughton
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 September 16 02:10 BST (UK) »
??? I am confused,  so who was the Joseph Bassett who married a Blanche Brook 1932?
Keyboard86

I'm beginning to wonder if Joseph Bassett Snr married Blanche (she still being around later as a widow and now finding Joseph Bassett Jnr returned to Hull is the one who married Marcella....  but only marriage certificates would confirm that.

Hi again, about to rejoin your party, also just who is the Joseph Bassett who married an Ada Seaman June qtr 1939 Hull 9d 685

Also the earlier marriage prior to Jane Gibson ie to Mary b Scotland, you are basing the approx marriage date to pre 1873 ( The birth of the first child Louisa in Hull, who died as Louisa Bassett aged 9 Sculcoates) have you located the girls birth registrations yet?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 September 16 11:00 BST (UK) »
To Keyboard 86

I don't have the birth reg's for the daughters of Joseph Bassett and Mary, born 1846 Bonnyhead Scotland just the 1881 and 1891 census. I don't need any information about the children as I have all I need but anything about Mary would be helpful for all I know about her is from the census records.

Like you I have no idea who Ada Seaman is or who the Joseph Bassett was she married.

The only Joseph Bassett's I have an interest in are (1) Joseph Bassett (Snr)(1850-1936) who first wed Mary sometime before 1873birth of first child so say 1872 and then in 1897 wed Mary Gibson (died 1921) and had several children. (2) Joseph Bassett (Jr) born Sculcoates, Yorkshire 1912; turned over to Dr Barnardos Homes in England; sent by Dr Barnarodo's with brother Ernest in 1923 to Dr Barnardos Home in Toronto Ontario Canada; who based on the Hull newspapers worked on some farms in Canada before stowing away back to England on a ship in 1929 when his father Joseph (1850-1936) was still living in Hull, and in 1929-1930 period got in trouble in Hull with the law; then I loose all track of him. Hull newspaper refers to Joseph jr being in the army but since I don't have the article (and perhaps it does not say) I don't know if he was in the Canadian or British army. Newspaper seems to suggest  he was not in the army long due to illness or unsuitability. There may be more clues in the 1929/30 Hull newspaper articles that would be helpful such as the name of the ship he stowed away on and some dates.

Unfortunatley the Joseph Bassett marriage records on Ancestry are just registration records unlike the more detailed ones I have seen giving names, ages, occupations,fathers name etc etc which is what one really needs to figure out if the marriage record is pertinent to the person being researched and as you all have seen there are far too many marriage certificates to order and pay for and of course most wont be for "my" Joseph Bassett's"

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 September 16 12:28 BST (UK) »
To Keyboard 86

I don't have the birth reg's for the daughters of Joseph Bassett and Mary, born 1846 Bonnyhead Scotland just the 1881 and 1891 census. I don't need any information about the children as I have all I need but anything about Mary would be helpful for all I know about her is from the census records.

Like you I have no idea who Ada Seaman is or who the Joseph Bassett was she married.

The only Joseph Bassett's I have an interest in are (1) Joseph Bassett (Snr)(1850-1936) who first wed Mary sometime before 1873birth of first child so say 1872 and then in 1897 wed Mary Gibson (died 1921) and had several children. (2) Joseph Bassett (Jr) born Sculcoates, Yorkshire 1912; turned over to Dr Barnardos Homes in England; sent by Dr Barnarodo's with brother Ernest in 1923 to Dr Barnardos Home in Toronto Ontario Canada; who based on the Hull newspapers worked on some farms in Canada before stowing away back to England on a ship in 1929 when his father Joseph (1850-1936) was still living in Hull, and in 1929-1930 period got in trouble in Hull with the law; then I loose all track of him. Hull newspaper refers to Joseph jr being in the army but since I don't have the article (and perhaps it does not say) I don't know if he was in the Canadian or British army. Newspaper seems to suggest  he was not in the army long due to illness or unsuitability. There may be more clues in the 1929/30 Hull newspaper articles that would be helpful such as the name of the ship he stowed away on and some dates.

Unfortunatley the Joseph Bassett marriage records on Ancestry are just registration records unlike the more detailed ones I have seen giving names, ages, occupations,fathers name etc etc which is what one really needs to figure out if the marriage record is pertinent to the person being researched and as you all have seen there are far too many marriage certificates to order and pay for and of course most wont be for "my" Joseph Bassett's"

There is William and Elizabeth Bassett (I think William could possibly brother of Joseph Bassett Snr) having children in Hull, and they had a son Joseph William born 1876, so difficult to pin down which branch of the Bassett family is which without certificates.   

Following through census returns, I think Mary is Mary Coultas of Barrhead, Scotland.  Don't think Joseph and Mary married???? 

The name of the ship Joseph was stowaway was White Star Liner Baltic and as indicated in my post the date of the newspaper was 16 Jan 1929.   The newspaper reports do not go into any great detail. No details about the Army. 

I am perplexed that I can't seem to find  birth registrations for Joseph Basset Snr's family????
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 September 16 15:12 BST (UK) »
Joseph's passenger list record of him being a stowaway show that he landed in Liverpool on 16 January 1929.  His address in England as his intended address is given as 5 Filey Parade, Gillett Street, Hull

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 September 16 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi as no death has been located for Joseph Bassett b 1912, just wondering if he married the Ada Seaman as their are these two deaths:-

Joseph Bassett b 19th July 1912 died June qtr 1975 Keighley v4 page 0692 aged 62
Ada Bassett b abt 1904 died March qtr 1955 Worth Valley v2c page 46 aged 51

Keyboard86

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 September 16 21:44 BST (UK) »
and..... interestingly a Joseph Brian Roughton (mother nee Longstaff) born 1934 died in Keighley in 2002.  keyboard, I think you have tracked Joseph Bassett born 1912 and he married Marcella and then Ada.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 19 September 16 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. Looks like I will have to order some certificates to sort out the various marriages of Joseph Bassett senior and junior. You have given me several clues to follow up on.

I appreciate all your contributions to this inquiry.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 19 September 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi I do believe the thinking of both Goughy and myself is correct,  just a couple of questions, with no apparent birth registrations of the children of Joseph/Mary/Jane and the non appearance of Ernest b c 1905 in 1911, where does the "Family Lore" come into play, why just the boys sent to Barnardos?
Keyboard86

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 19 September 16 16:11 BST (UK) »
There were three sisters of Joseph Bassett (b 1912) and his brother Ernest Bassett (b1906)also sent to Barnardo homes in England and then to Barnardo Homes in Canada between 1910 and 1924. A fourth sister married in England and then came to Canada with her husband.