Author Topic: Marcella M Roughton  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marcella M Roughton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 September 16 14:18 BST (UK) »
Yes Joseph did wed a Mary before Jane and with her had three children. Mary died sometime after the 1891 census and when Joseph wed Jane Gibson in 1897. Mary was given in census records as born 1846 Bonnyhead,Scotland, Just she and Joseph (no children) were living together at 13 Chapel Terrace Yorkshire at the time of the 1891 census and with their children Louisa and Elizabeth at 153 Glasgow Street, Sculcoates,Yorkshire in the 1881 census. Based on the birth dates of the children born to Mary and Joseph Basset they were married no later than 1872. Never was able to find out any more about Mary except what was given in the 1881 and 1891 census.

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 September 16 15:20 BST (UK) »
Death notice in newspaper for Marcella just says "beloved wife of Joseph" and lists the names of her three sisters. (doesn't say wife of late)

By the way, it looks as though Joseph Bassett's son Joseph who was sent to Canada came back to Hull.  Newspaper reports in 1929 say he was a stowaway and was handed over to Police.  Sadly, there are a number of police reports for Joseph Bassett.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 September 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
 ??? I am confused,  so who was the Joseph Bassett who married a Blanche Brook 1932?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 September 16 15:28 BST (UK) »
??? I am confused,  so who was the Joseph Bassett who married a Blanche Brook 1932?
Keyboard86

I'm beginning to wonder if Joseph Bassett Snr married Blanche (she still being around later as a widow and now finding Joseph Bassett Jnr returned to Hull is the one who married Marcella....  but only marriage certificates would confirm that.

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 September 16 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again, a Blanche Bassett died Hull 1941 aged 70?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 September 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
She's a widow in '39

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 September 16 17:24 BST (UK) »
To 'Goughy'

Could you post or send by private message the newspaper articles about the Joseph Basset who returned to Hull. Family lore suggests that he is part of the family I am working on. I believe he is the Joseph Bassett born in Sculcoates, Yorkshire 1912 who came to Canada with his brother Ernest as one of Dr Barnardo's Home children in 1923 with the intention of doing farm work. I have voters lists for a Joseph Bassett at Elgin, Ontario from 1953 to 1965 in which the 1953 record gave him as a watchman but from 1957 onward as retired. Not sure however if this is the same man. Not sure about any marriages for him but the one you gave of a wife looks interesting.

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 September 16 18:13 BST (UK) »
Here's a brief summary of key points which will confirm this is "your" Joseph.

Hull Daily Mail 16 January 1929

A 16 year old stowaway.  Five years ago sent to Canada by a society to work on a farm but due to unpleasantness ran away.  Three years wandered from farm to farm.  Was anxious to get back to Hull where his father was still alive. 

Hull Daily Mail 5 September 1929

Joseph Bassett 20 a labourer residing at Cromwell Terrace, West Parade charged with receiving a gentleman's bicycle ......   Bassett had  been to Canada and recently arrived as a stowaway  Had been in the army but rheumatism had prevented him from being a competent soldier.  Had been doing odd jobs around Hull.  Placed on probation for two years. 

In February 1930 he was in trouble again and sentence respited for 8 weeks until a full report into his conduct was undertaken.

British Newspaper Archives are available through this link http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Subscriptions can be for one month

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 September 16 21:10 BST (UK) »
To 'Goughy'

Fantastic. He is definitely the Joseph Basset born 1912 that is on the family tree. I went to the website for the newspaper but I have previously used up my 3 free articles and cant afford to pay 13 pounds for a one month subscription especially since there are only two articles pertaining to him.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would send/post the two articles that refer to him as I still don't know for example what penalty was given out for his stowaway and his bicycle theft charge. Dates of trial etc. All these details are of interest to me and I really need to see the full article. Can you do that for me please ?