Author Topic: St Davids RC, (MULLINNAGORE or OILGATE.)  (Read 5410 times)

Offline elemef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Davids RC, (MULLINNAGORE or OILGATE.)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 September 16 11:22 BST (UK) »
Once again many thanks for clarifying those points raised by me. I do understand that baptism and marriage records are recorded by location only as in 'Oylgate' (St Davids RC) or 'Glenbrian (St Peters RC). I forgot to mention the following.

In the late 1970s or early 1980s John Furlong of Burlington, Ontario, Canada, commissioned researcher Ian Cantwell of Dublin, to carry out a research project by recording ALL the known Furlong baptisms, marriages, and deaths, of every parish in County Wexford. I have a copy of this which has proved an invaluable aid to me in my researches; in this the records are recorded by their district or parish name, and not by specific church names. It would appear to me that Ian Cantwell has carried out this project by visitation to Wexford Records Office/Archives where most, if not all parish registers have been deposited. But it is clear that he has visited certain churches where the registers have remained, as in the case of Oylegate. Every parish is listed and so it appears that all early records/registers did survive. However, regarding the missing records for Oylegate previously mentionerd. Ian Cantwell obviously visited Oylegate to record his data, and in this it is noted baptism and marriage records are missing for the period 1820-1830. When I visited Oylegate, and Glenbrian, in 2001 I recorded every Furlong that I came across and was able to construct several Furlong family trees, and I was able to confirm that the 1820-1830 records were missing.  .

Once again many thanks for your valuable comments and guidance. I would welcome any further guidance you can offer.   

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 September 16 06:03 BST (UK) »
A word on sources. You can probably get these via inter-library loan, if interested.
1) Churches of the Diocese of Ferns, 2004.
-N.B. this is for present-day Catholic churches.
2) The Secular Priests of the Diocese of Ferns, by John V. Gahan, 2000.
- Notes on Catholic secular priests of the diocese, with many comments on churches.
3) Archaeological Inventory of Co. Wexford, by the Archaeological Survey of Ireland, 1996.
Historic sites listed include churches and graveyards.
4) Ordnance Survey Letters for Co. Wexford.
- Available online, link provided in previous post.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline elemef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 September 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for those valuable sources, they are of great help.

Offline boodie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 September 19 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hello, There are burials at St David's Well, but I have been unable to trace any records up to now. There was a church there a long time ago but it has completly disappeared now.  I have a list of graves atKillmallock if you are still looking.

Offline elemef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Boodie, I mis-filed your original incoming mail of notification and have only just recovered this.  I must apologise therefore for the delay in replying. Many thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my appeals. Where is Killmalock, and is it likely that Furlongs may be buried there? 

Offline boodie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 May 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hello, Killmallock is Ballymurm, close to Oylegate.  there are about 20 Furlongs there who died 1819 to 1940s. There are more details of inscriptions of each grave. 

Offline boodie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 May 20 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, copied summary and sent to your e-mail address, hope it helps.

Offline elemef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 May 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your speedy response and your helpful guidance.