Author Topic: Kathleen Rorke *COMPLETED*  (Read 1760 times)

Offline beniamino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kathleen Rorke *COMPLETED*
« on: Thursday 15 September 16 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm trying to obtain a birth certificate for Kathleen Rorke, who was born in Gleneige, Co. Leitrim. According to her death certificate, she was born on 17 August 1905. I have found her family in the 1911 census -- http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Leitrim/Sramore/Gleneige/656608/ . The names, surname and ages of all three sisters match the people I knew, so I'm fairly sure this is the right family.

I looked on rootsireland.ie and found birth records for three Rorke sisters in Gleneige, with the correct parents' names (Dennis and Rose Anne) and approximately the right birthdays. For Bridget and Mary, the names also match. However, the record that should match my grandmother is 20th August 1905 (rather than 17th August), and the name is listed as "Catherine Ellen". My guess is that this is a transcription error, where Kathleen has been written down wrongly.

Can anyone suggest where I should look for an authoritative birth record for Kathleen, with the correct name? Are there parish registers that I might search?

Many thanks for any clues!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kathleen Rorke
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 16 14:36 BST (UK) »
It sounds as though you already have the correct birth certificate for your grandmother-
-parents names match
-birthdate of 17 Aug.1905 (death certificate) only 3 days off from 20 Aug.1905 (birth certificate). Remember that the details on a death certificate are given by the informant and may be incorrect.
-Catherine is just another form of Kathleen
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 16 15:21 BST (UK) »
Going by the note on the side, it looks like she wasn't  registered until December so no surprise if there was a mix up in dates, but as aghadowey said death Certs are often incorrect.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1905/01762/1694082

Offline beniamino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 16 22:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks, both of you. This is so helpful. I didn't realise Kathleen == Catherine, and the link to the actual record is brilliant.