Author Topic: Sleat or Strath - any info before 1800  (Read 2332 times)

Offline mmkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sleat or Strath - any info before 1800
« on: Friday 16 September 16 08:36 BST (UK) »
Searching in Scotlands People to try to find info prior to 1800, but just coming up no results.  Saw a different post that suggested for Sleat in particular there arent any parish records before 1813.  Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or do I just stop once I get to the early 1800's?

Families I am looking for are
Kelly - Angus born Strath 1797, his wife Euphemia McLeod born 1800 Strath,
McInnes, Mary born Sleat 1835,
Mckinnon, John - not sure of date of birth but his children born 1813-1815 so probably about 1790's and Johns wife Mary Robertson. 

thanks

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sleat or Strath - any info before 1800
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 September 16 11:46 BST (UK) »
Searching in Scotlands People to try to find info prior to 1800, but just coming up no results.  Saw a different post that suggested for Sleat in particular there arent any parish records before 1813.  Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or do I just stop once I get to the early 1800's?

Families I am looking for are
Kelly - Angus born Strath 1797, his wife Euphemia McLeod born 1800 Strath,
McInnes, Mary born Sleat 1835,
Mckinnon, John - not sure of date of birth but his children born 1813-1815 so probably about 1790's and Johns wife Mary Robertson. 

thanks

Might be worth getting in touch with the Highland Archive Centre in Inverness, to see if they hold anything? 
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 April 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
mmkiwi,
           Here are some births you may be interested in....

Peter Kelly, parents Angus Kelly & Effy McLeod.    Born 14 Nov 1825 at Strath
Catherine Kelly -- same parents -- Born 29 Nov 1828 at Strath
John Kelly -- same parents -- Born 6 Mar 1839 at Strath
Janet Kelly -- same parents -- Born 29 Apr 1840 at Strath

---------

Mary McKinnon, parents John McKinnon & Mary Robertson.   Born 7 Mar 1813 at Sleat.

---I only saw this single McKinnon born to Mary Robertson.      Ever heard of a Lachlan McKinnon of Sleat?     I think he also married a Robertson and had children at Sleat around that time.

Brian   

Offline mmkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 April 17 05:04 BST (UK) »
mmkiwi,
           Here are some births you may be interested in....

Peter Kelly, parents Angus Kelly & Effy McLeod.    Born 14 Nov 1825 at Strath
Catherine Kelly -- same parents -- Born 29 Nov 1828 at Strath
John Kelly -- same parents -- Born 6 Mar 1839 at Strath
Janet Kelly -- same parents -- Born 29 Apr 1840 at Strath

---------

Mary McKinnon, parents John McKinnon & Mary Robertson.   Born 7 Mar 1813 at Sleat.

---I only saw this single McKinnon born to Mary Robertson.      Ever heard of a Lachlan McKinnon of Sleat?     I think he also married a Robertson and had children at Sleat around that time.

Brian

thanks Brian - I have much of this info, but appreciate you forwarding to me as well.  The only area of difference is is to John Mackinnon and Mary Robertson I have Mary Mackinnon and Roderick Mackinnon born in 1815. 

The Lachlan Mackinnon you mention who married a Robertson - what year was he born?

The Lachlan Mackinnon I have was born to Roderick Mackinnon (1815-1905) son of John Mackinnon and Mary Robertson as mentioned above, who married Marion Grant in 1844.   Lachlan was one of 5 boys born to this couple and Lachlan was a twin.   The family all emigrated to NZ in 1873.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 April 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
      I see your Roderick McKinnon was born 26 June 1815 to John McKinnon & Mary Robertson at Sleat.

My mentioning Lachlan is probably not worth bothering about..    I just thought it was curious that another McKinnon from Sleat (Lachlan) was also married to a Mary Robertson.     Just amazing that this should happen in such a small place as Sleat.     The births I was looking at, around the 1815 period, are...

Mary McKinnon b 13 Sep 1815 Sleat to Lachlan McKinnon & Mary Margt Robertson
      Rachel McKinnon b 12 Nov 1817 Sleat to Lauchn McKinnon & Mary Robertson.

Offline anythingwithjimbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm James McKinnon

Roderick McKinnon 1819-1906
is the Roderick McKinnon who emigrated to New Zealand was married to Marion Grant

His father was John McKinnon 1786-1857 and was married to Mary Robertson

His father may have been Alexander MacKinnon I have no dates, he was married to Anne Ferguson.

One of Roderick's children was John 1846-1907 and was my Great,great Grandfather.

Hope this was of help to you.

Here's Rodderick

https://mediasvc.ancestry.co.uk/v2/image/namespaces/1093/media/cfd755d3-3a16-40f0-98b4-c375108392c4?client=TreesUI&maxside=160&imagequality=UltraHighQuality