Author Topic: Paterson Family from Lanarkshire  (Read 3251 times)

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Paterson Family from Lanarkshire
« on: Friday 16 September 16 13:40 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

Thank you for this forum. The information is invaluable and has helped with breakthroughs that mean so much to me.

I have come to a brick wall with my 2nd great grandfathers family. James Paterson married Catherine Burns in the High Church in Glasgow on 02 Sep 1856. I found his military record (Princess Louise's Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Princess Louise's 93rd Foot) and found him in census. Looks like his parents are James Paterson and Isabella Allen.

Family stories say that James Paterson had at least 3 brothers: Robert born about 1824, Andrew 1825, and John 1839. Robert and Andrew served as well, one in the "18th Regiment" and the other in the "Royal Artillery". Given the big gap in birth years among the four brothers, I suspect that there are some sisters in there whose names were lost to the family.

In different census East Kilbride, Glasgow and Douglas are all listed as birthplace for James Paterson. His parents James Paterson and Isabella Allen were married 18 Jul 1824 in East Kilbride.

Any information about the Paterson family would be most appreciated, especially anything on his siblings. Thank you so much, Barbara Baxter
Scotland: Baxter,Paterson,Brown, Hunter, Main, Grant, Fraser, Bain, Sharp,
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley
Sheffield,England: Rollinson, Platts, Crofts

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Paterson Family from Lanarkshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 September 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Have you got the family in any of the earlier censuses?

Deaths for parents James and Isabella, were they before or after 1855?  I can see one death in 1866 for example for an Isabella Allan/Paterson, aged 65.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 16 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Yes, that I believe Isabella died a widow at 118 George St, Glasgow in 1866. Her husband James Paterson may have died around 1850.

Isabella Paterson doesn't show up in 1861 census with her son James Paterson. Wonder if she is still at George Street?

Thank you very much, Barbara
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 September 16 21:35 BST (UK) »
Who reported Isabella's death in 1866, Barbara?

Would help to find all the census entries for her, James and children as this should help you in widening the family hopefully.

I can see this entry in Glasgow in 1861, but the age of son John doesn't match a birth year you mentioned of c. 1839:

Isabella Paterson 62 b. Hellride (? as transcribed), Lanarkshire
John Paterson 33 b. Glasgow
Thomas Paterson 21 b. Glasgow

Address: 43 West Milton St, Milton/Glasgow

Monica

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 September 16 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica,

It says her son John Paterson is present at her death in 1866. I will have a look and see if I can find that census and maybe match it up. Thank you very much, Barbara

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 16 21:45 BST (UK) »
This is your James after his marriage to Catherine?

James Paterson 25 cab driver b. Glasgow
Catherine Paterson 25
James Paterson 3
Rose Paterson 8 Months
Mary Whitelaw 15 servant

Address: 20 New Wynd, Glasgow/Clyde

I left off the occupations from that possible 1861 census entry for Isabella above. On that, her son John was a cab driver and son Thomas a butcher.

Jumping now to this 1841 census entry that might connect. Transcript may not be clear as I don't see what the additional surname may be for the first three below:

Isabella Paterson Forbies 45
Robert Paterson Forbies 14 flesher (a butcher)
John Paterson Forbies 12 flesher
James Paterson 10
Andrew Paterson 8
Janet Paterson 6
Mary Paterson 5
Thomas Paterson 3

Address: Brown st, Glasgow

Monica

Added: the joy of the transcripts... Freecen shows Isabella with no additonal surname. Occupation washer. Feels like this Isabella is already a widow.

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 September 16 21:57 BST (UK) »
Yes they are my 2nd great grandparents James and Catherine (Burns) Paterson at New Wynd in Glasgow.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 September 16 10:14 BST (UK) »
I have two Paterson families from East Kilbride in my tree.

Andrew Paterson, born 28 May 1790, son of Robert Paterson and Janet Russell, married my fourth cousin three times removed (!) Susanna Watt. I have quite a lot of information about their descendants, who include the founders of the firm that makes 'Camp' coffee. 'My' Andrew could perhaps be a cousin of 'your' James senior.

I also have James Paterson, born 23 July 1828, son of William Paterson and Janet Hart, who married my first cousin three times removed, Margaret Scott. They had six of a family, but I have very little information about them. 'My' William could be some sort of cousin of 'your' James senior.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 September 16 14:29 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

Thank you for the reply. Monica has given me some very good leads in tracing my Patersons from East Kilbride but still working to make connections. They are proving very hard to trace.
Paterson is a very common name and they used James, Andrew and Robert and John quite often!

Attached is a photo of James Paterson my 2nd great grandfather born about 1834. He served in India and Gibralter with the 93rd Highlanders.

Thank you very much, it will be interesting if we can connect our Patersons,  Barbara Baxter