Author Topic: Is anyone going to Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies soon?  (Read 795 times)

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is anyone going to Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies soon?
« on: Friday 16 September 16 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
I live in Australia & I am researching Australian soldiers who died in WW1 & are buried in the UK for this website
http://ww1austburialsuk.weebly.com/

I am currently researching Percy William Toogoood who enlisted in England with 1st King Edward's Horse, service number 653.

According to the UK Army Registers of Soldiers’ Effects it states he committed suicide yet the newspapers in Australia report that he died from wounds received in action. It would be a big mistake to say he committed suicide if in fact he didn't.

I have contacted the Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies & they advise that there are 2 newspaper items for Trooper Toogood:
 1)   A picture in the Herts Advertiser of Trooper Toogood in the 9 January 1915 edition
2)   A report of the funeral of Trooper Toogood in the 4 September 1915 edition of the Hertfordshire Mercury.

The Archives want £15 or a copy of each newspaper article for £10 per item. I have around 2,000 soldiers to research & can't justify paying that much money.

SO if anyone is going to the Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies soon & would be able to help me out with the 2 newspaper items - it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Cathy
Australia
Sedgwick- George, Thomas, Charles, Eddie, Harry
Wilcockson - Thomas, Joseph, Edward, William Henry
Ruge -Christian, Wilhelm, August, Waldemar. Christian was  from Germany(until 1850 then Sth Australia then NSW)