Author Topic: MARKS family of Waterford, Ireland  (Read 1175 times)

Offline audrey69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARKS family of Waterford, Ireland
« on: Saturday 17 September 16 07:21 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on 3 siblings - William, Henry and George Marks b. circa 1820's.  In 1849 George Marks was tried, convicted and sent to Van Diemen's Land as a 23 yr old convict.  Henry was living in Manchester, England and William was somewhere in Waterford Co.  I know what became of George Marks but would love to know anything about Henry and William or who their parents were.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MARKS family of Waterford, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on 3 siblings - William, Henry and George Marks b. circa 1820's.  In 1849 George Marks was tried, convicted and sent to Van Diemen's Land as a 23 yr old convict.  Henry was living in Manchester, England and William was somewhere in Waterford Co.  I know what became of George Marks but would love to know anything about Henry and William or who their parents were.
Hi Audrey 69 do you have George Marks documents when he was sent to Van Diemens Land?   Did George marry - if so do you have marriage record as it may show his fathers name which would help.  Do you know what denomination the family were? If they were Roman Catholic you could check the Baptisms/Marriage on www.registers.nli.ie  for Clashmore Co Waterford as I found evidence of this surname there in Tithe Applotment records of a Thomas Marks Ballyheena Clashmore in 1834.  Same Thomas Marks is on Griffiths Valuation records in 1851 same location.
www.nationalarchives.ie has all the above records also 1901 & 1911 Census (which is too late for yourfamily) but it will show you the distribution of the surname in Co Waterford.
On www.historicgraves.ie there are records of burials in Collegiate Church of St Mary in Youghal Co Cork which is quiet close to Clashmore. There is also a burial in St Pauls Graveyard in Clashmore Co Waterford for a Mrs Mullen sister to Thomas Marks 7/8/1861

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline audrey69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MARKS family of Waterford, Ireland
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 16 06:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for suggestion but Tasmanian marriage certificates that early don't  include parents details. None of the Australian records have any info other than the 2 brothers and the reference to Manchester and Native Place ie. Waterford.