Author Topic: Sarah Ellen WALL 1868-1902 Swindon and Highworth Workhouse  (Read 2494 times)

Offline haddockinthekitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sarah Ellen WALL 1868-1902 Swindon and Highworth Workhouse
« on: Saturday 17 September 16 08:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace 2 children of the 6 my great grandmother had in the Swindon Workhouse.
She had 6 children in the workhouse and I have traced 4 - one is my own grandmother, another died, and then a further 2 sisters.
I have managed to trace living relatives which is fantastic, but I now want to try and find out what happened to the 2 eldest girls.
ALICE WALL b 1887
LILIAN MAUDE b. 1890.

I have traced Alice on 2 census records - both as a servant, but for two different people, the last of which was living in a church owned property, so there may be a chance of further investigation.
Lilian Maude is almost invisible.
If anyone has any info on these people, or in fact has them in their tree, please do contact me.
I visited the Swindon History Centre last week - I found info on Ida May ( my grandmother) and her two siblings, Walter William Wall and Mary Lilian but was a little limited for time.
I intend to go back and see if the older records (big age difference) hold info about either of the two elder girls.
So, if anyone has any info, that would be wonderful.
Walls of Kenn. Flamank of Boscarne, Courtenay, Aurelius.

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ellen WALL 1868-1902 Swindon and Highworth Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 16 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi as you said Lilian Maude is in the workhouse in 1891 with single Mum Ellen and Alice 4. There is a listing in 1902 for Lilian M 10 as a visitor with Fields, Walter & Sarah in Swindon. Could it be possible that Lilian was fostered out to this family?
Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 16 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi as you said Lilian Maude is in the workhouse in 1891 with single Mum Ellen and Alice 4. There is a listing in 1902 for Lilian M 10 as a visitor with Fields, Walter & Sarah in Swindon. Could it be possible that Lilian was fostered out to this family?

Do you mean the name of the people were fields?
When you say listing, what exactly is that listing - the census was 1901, so I wondered what you meant?
Yes fostering was possible, as the younger children were fostered - can you tell me where to access this listing? I am not convinced Sarah Ellen was in the workhouse all of the time, so I would like to follow this up.
Thanks in advance.

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen, sorry to confuse you...yes surname was Fields in 1901, Walter is 25 but Sarah is listed as 47, no comment, just joshing, probably errors. You said you were not convinced Sarah aka Ellen was in the workhouse all of the time yet in 1901 she is 33 pauper with children Walter Wm and Ida May. Do you feel she left the workhouse to return later? Tks Tinam
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 September 16 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen, sorry to confuse you...yes surname was Fields in 1901, Walter is 25 but Sarah is listed as 47, no comment, just joshing, probably errors. Tinam

OK, but Sarah died at the age of 34 if you look at the title of my query? I doubt it can be her age was at or around 33 at the 1901 census, and I have her listed and checked off on this census with my grandmother and her youngest sister.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 September 16 09:53 BST (UK) »
1901  32 Ehrima Road [?] Swindon

Walter Fields, 25, car driver b Lambourne
Sarah S Field, 47, b Malboro
Lilian M Wall, 10, visitor, b Stratton

Think this is her in 1911

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X72K-N9F

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 September 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
Walter's wife was Sarah Ann Bullock - they married in1897 (and yes she was 22 yrs older than him)

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 September 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
Well done Mabel!! And she was still with the Fields(Field) who are childless in 1911, and yes you were right about their age differences. Lily listed as a boarder who would have been with them for over 10 years.  Who is Olive Wall 3 years old born Chaddington??? Tinam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 September 16 10:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks both - I will do the search now.