Author Topic: Family of Kathleen Mary Cole-Mary Bowler Massey Rice, Henry Massey, John Rice  (Read 640 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family of Kathleen Mary Cole-Mary Bowler Massey Rice, Henry Massey, John Rice
« on: Saturday 17 September 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
My 3x great Grandmother Kathleen Mary Cole was adopted by Mary Bowler (born 1767, Gosport) and Henry Massey (born circa 1756, 1st husband, married 1800, Cork). I do not know the exact year when Mary was born but according to her death certificate (Auckland, New Zealand, 1906) she was born circa 1819. I would like to find her birth record if possible to figure out who her parents were. I have also never been able to uncover how she was actually related to Mary Bowler Massey Rice (will use BMR to distinguish between the two Mary's) but an ancestor said Mary BMR was her great aunt. I have posted about this family previously in this forum http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=634709.msg4824097#msg4824097. Here is what I know. She (Mary Cole) and Mary BMR seemed to live in Gosport (England), Dublin and Kinsale, Ireland. On Mary Cole's marriage certificate to James Oldham (1842, Gosport) under parents it state that her parents were unknown and that Mary BMR and her first husband Henry Massey (Gentleman and Land Waiter in Kinsale) were her adoptive parents. Henry had a sister Susannah Massey who died in Cork, 1830. Henry died in 1832, Cork. Mary BMR married John Rice (born circa 1777), school master, in 1834, Cork. John Rice died in Gosport, 1840. In 1841 I found both Marys living in Gosport. I think Henry was married before (Mary Terry, Cork, 1795??) and is from Cork. I know John was married to Eliza Rice because I have a bible given to Mary Cole and it is inscribed (this is also how I know Mary Cole's full name). John Rice's wife, Eliza died in Cork, 1832. I am not sure where John Rice came from originally. Is anyone familiar with Henry Massey, Susannah Massey or John Rice or descendants of these families? Any information would be great (maybe children of Henry or John etc). Thanks very much!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Kathleen Mary Cole-Mary Bowler Massey Rice, Henry Massey, John Rice
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 September 16 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I did find in the Tithe records  Henry Massey.
Surname   Forename   Townland/Street   Parish   County   Year
Massey      William     North Creeg    Litter   Cork           1834
Massey      Henry       North Cregg    Litter   Cork           1834
Massey      William     North Cregg    Litter   Cork           1834
Massey       Henry      North Cregg    Litter   Cork          1834

The Parish called Litter is near to Fermoy, he was still there in 1852.

Griffith's Valuation Record Information
Tenant
Family Name 1   MASSEY
Forename 1   HENRY
Landlord
Family Name 2   CLIFFE
Forename 2   ANTHONY
Barony   CONDONS & CLANGIBBON
Union   FERMOY
Parish   FERMOY
Townland   DUNTAHANE
Place Name   DUNTAHANE
Place Type   TOWNLAND
Publication Details
Position on Page   33
Printing Date   1852
Act   9&10
Sheet Number   35
Map Reference   10

While looking for Bowler/Bowen births I saw .......Possibly the Mothers name was COLE.

Name:   Henry Cole Bowen   Date of Birth:   
        Date of Baptism:   28-Jan-1808
Address:      Parish/District:   MALLOW
      Denomination:   Church Of Ireland

Father:   Robert Bowen   Mother:   Elizabeth Not Recorded

Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1:   Not Recorded Not Recorded    Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2:   Not Recorded Not Recorded

I searched by Massey and Cole and then Cole and Bowler/Bowen and then with Massey, sorry no results in Deaths Births or Marriages.
I hope this has helped.
Maggsie

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Kathleen Mary Cole-Mary Bowler Massey Rice, Henry Massey, John Rice
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 September 16 23:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maggsie. I will take a look at these and see what I can figure out!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton