Author Topic: Caddagh Glebe, Leitrim Completed  (Read 4836 times)

Offline Windwolvz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Caddagh Glebe, Leitrim Completed
« on: Saturday 17 September 16 19:48 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather came to Canada from Ireland in 1904 and while I have a great deal of information on him here, his time back home is a continual work in progress.  My query is whether anyone else is researching Caddagh Glebe, his stated townland, and whether they have any information about the area.  I am trying to determine the best guess population size for that area, local schools that children would have attended and churches.  My grt grandfather would have been there in the 1880s.  Any help would be fantastic.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caddagh Glebe, Leitrim
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 16 20:22 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 16 20:59 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Windwolvz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 September 16 06:22 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed, it is the Youngs.  The problem is, well, that I have an impossible mission that I will never find the answer to and yet have to exhaust all options before I am willing to accept it!!  That said, my great grandfather is Robert Young.  He came to Canada on the SS Tunisian in 1904 on the same ticket as his wife Edith, George Young, William Faris Hetherington ( Edith's brother ) and Thomas McTernan.  All four were to go to Brantford for two years and work on a farm and they did in fact drop off of the map for those two years until Robert and George resurfaced in Toronto in 1906.  From that point on I have a ton of information on Robert here in Ontario and in fact I will be meeting a gentleman in October who knew him when he was working in the east end of Toronto.  Pretty exciting.

That said, tracing him back through Ireland is very, very challenging.  He has stated his place of birth as Cadda / Caddagh Glebe but this is not necessarily true. He told his son, my grandfather, that he was from Sligo.  He told him that he was an orphan.  Which is the truth?  No one left to tell me really.  He was gone from Caddagh Glebe during the missing census years showing up in Dundalk come the 1901 census. 

The stories from family that were handed down say that he was born in Sligo and orphaned at some point.  He was taken in and raised by an aunt and uncle nearby.  He states on his marriage registration that his father was George Young but that is questionable too.  Is that his real father or perhaps the uncle that raised him?

One thing I do know is that there is an undeniable connection between Robert and the George he came to Canada with.  They lived together for the first few years in Toronto in the same house.  When George lost his only son in 1907, he purchased a local plot for him to be buried in.  In 1910, Robert lost a young daughter and George allowed his son's grave to be unearthed and Robert's daughter interred there alongside George's son.  While there is no paper proof yet of a relation between Robert and George there just has to be a link beyond sharing a last name. 

So.  Sorry for the long post but the backstory leads me to my question.  In 1834 in the Griffith's Valuation, there are three Youngs in Cadda which I am sure is Caddagh Glebe.  They are Patrick, Henery and James.  I just checked the stats from the valuation and the occupation of the townland numbers 30 souls.  So three out of thirty are Youngs.  I have a ton of docs now regarding these three and am connecting them together; developing the bigger picture of family together in an area.  What I am now hoping is if someone can help me identify which schools children of the area would have attended in the hopes of a record somewhere.  My gg Robert was well educated.  Reading, writing and calculating during his time in Dundalk running a warehouse as a boot merchant.

Thank you for the replies everyone!  Encouraging to have others to bounce things off of and share ideas.  BTW, good call hallmark!  Surprised you figured out the family that quick!  Thanks! 

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 September 16 07:24 BST (UK) »
' ... I am trying to determine the best guess population size for that area ...  My grt grandfather would have been there in the 1880s ...'

Summary statistics from the Ireland Census 1881 (original returns pulped during WW1)...

Population of Caddagh Glebe:

1841: 124
1851: 125
1861: 86
1871: 89
1881: 75 (42 males / 33 females)

Houses in Caddagh Glebe:

1841: 21
1851: 18
1861: 19
1871: 17
1881: 15 (and 47 out-offices / farmsteadings)

http://www.dippam.ac.uk/eppi/documents/17175/page/458830

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 September 16 07:25 BST (UK) »
It might have been a first on RC, answering a question before it was asked!!  :-))

(22) Mick & Terry McTernan, Caddagh Glebe have tested their DNA, wonder if your Thomas was related!!
http://mctiernan.com/location.htm

Census     http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Louth/Dundalk_Urban_No__1/Clanbrassil_Street/1560173/ where Tom is a Methodist, age 26.

siblings in Leitrim:
Young   William   30   Male   Head of Family   Church of Ireland
Young   Jane   28   Female   Sister   Church of Ireland
Young   George   25   Male   Brother   Church of Ireland

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ii2/ gets you all C of I Leitrim born Youngs,
note Patrick
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Sligo/Sligo_West_Urban/Adelaid_Street/1685145/ Shoemaker, as a POSSIBLE father (??)
Young   George   25   Male   Brother   Church of Ireland

Have you Searched Civil Registrations for the 4 "siblings"??

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 September 16 07:27 BST (UK) »
(22) Mick & Terry McTernan, Caddagh Glebe have tested their DNA, wonder if your Thomas McTernan was related to one you mention!!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 September 16 07:51 BST (UK) »