Author Topic: Village scenes c1911 DEVON or CORNWALL. ✔MEAVY  (Read 724 times)

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Village scenes c1911 DEVON or CORNWALL. ✔MEAVY
« on: Sunday 18 September 16 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Any ideas please as to the location of these

Village scenes c1911 DEVON or CORNWALL ?

Both the same village showing different views with a stone cross (on three tiers) & a distinctive stone built property with arched windows. Church (with clock) and graveyard (entrance) overlook small green with very old tree.

With thanks~001uk
TABB of Saltash

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Village scenes c1911 DEVON or CORNWALL. Location help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 September 16 07:28 BST (UK) »
Meavy in Devon.

O/S Grid Ref: SX/54029/67181.

I'm amazed ...and pleased....that the tree is still there as it looks as though it was being propped up in the photograph!

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Village scenes c1911 DEVON or CORNWALL. Location help please
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 September 16 12:21 BST (UK) »
One of the oldest trees in the country. It pre-dates the church.

http://www.ancient-tree-hunt.org.uk/discoveries/newdiscoveries/2010/The+Meavy+Oak

Long before St Peter’s Church was built in the village in 1122, the tree, in pride of place on the village green, was known as a Gospel Oak as it was regularly used for preaching.

There is now a stone cross in the shade of the tree which is thought to have been erected in the 15th Century.

This breathtaking tree is referred to by local residents as “The Royal Oak” – also the name of the local pub – as it is thought to be one of the many trees in which King Charles may have hidden while being chased by Cromwell’s men in the 16th Century.

Certainly, this is not out of the question and, in 1826, the cavity in the middle was large enough for the landlady of the other Royal Oak to entertain nine guests to a full blown dinner party within it! The hollow has also been used as a peat store and there are modern day stories of folk riding their bicycles through it.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Village scenes c1911 DEVON or CORNWALL. ✔MEAVY
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 September 16 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hello djm297

Thanks VERY much for finding the location in superfast time! BRILLIANT. Two comments I wish to make.

1) I'm ashamed I did not recognise it as I was there for a couple of days at New Year! I even had a meal and several pints in the pub (which is possibly why I don't remember).Excellent public house by the way
2) The story about the Royal Oak is of HUGE interest to me as my birthday is on (Oak Apple Day or) ROYAL OAK DAY.

In 1660, Parliament declared 29th May a public holiday, "to be for ever kept as a day of thanksgiving for our redemption from tyranny and the King's return to his Government, he entering London that day". It was also King Charles II birthday.

Cheers!
TABB of Saltash