Author Topic: James HOPWOOD  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James HOPWOOD
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 September 16 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Deidre

Please see reply #1

Which doesn't give dates or parents  ???
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 September 16 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Deidre

Yes - I agree.  Because it was Merioneth and not Cardigan I didn’t post any more info in case it confused things. 

I would always have thought of Hopwood as an English rather than a Welsh surname so it’s interesting to see Osprey’s reply re: Flint & Denbigh together with the 1841 for James Hopwood in Flint

Looking at the English 1861 there are 2,566 instances of the surname but only 104 in Wales.  I know chunks of the 1861 are missing which may account for the low figure but in 1871 there were only 150 entries.

So - total longshot time - I wonder if his parents were English and only in Cardigan for a short time.  He may have actually been baptised in England but you would have the devils own job proving it without more info.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 September 16 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your time.  1841 census James was definitely with family, married and with children.  I've seen the marriage entry some years ago and just picked up the entry in FS. There's quite a distance between Merionethshire and Cardiganshire, however, could have been travelling?? 1851 I have him with family in AUL and death in 1884. Thanks for the tip about the other researcher had a look at all those posts which were posted 10 years ago. May try and get a message there. I'll try some of the suggestions and then possibly give up!!!
Regards
Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.