Author Topic: William Dolton Barnes 1871-1957 Winterton,Lincolnshire  (Read 2682 times)

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Dolton Barnes 1871-1957 Winterton,Lincolnshire
« on: Sunday 18 September 16 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi can someone please help me with this person above, i have him as my 2x great grandfather,
while doing my tree i have come across some discrepancies as you can see his name is above but from certain records on Ancestry his name is down as Baines(especially on gravestone including his wife Emma Jane,probate)
could someone please take a look and see if i have missed something, or gone wrong somewhere im certain these records are correct as the probate goes to the 2 children that i have for them.

Name    William Dalton Baines
Death Date    26 Feb 1957
Death Place    Lincolnshire, Lincoln, England
Probate Date    24 Jun 1957
Registry    Lincoln, England.

Name    William Dalton Baines
Death Date    26 Feb 1957
Cemetery    Winterton Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place    Winterton, North Lincolnshire Unitary Authority, Lincolnshire, England
Has Bio?    N.
Many thanks
Debbie xx
Barnes,Driffill,Altoft,Thompson,Metcalfe,Owbridge,
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: William Dolton Barnes 1871-1957 Winterton,Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 September 16 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi debs14

I can see the PR when he married in 1894 and he signed as WILLIAM DALTON BARNES

He was 24 a labourer, and his father was a Charles Barnes ~ a labourer

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 September 16 22:42 BST (UK) »

Baptized as WILLIAM DALTON BARNES on the 16 January 1871 son of Charles and Faith Anna of Winterton. Father a labourer.

Born on January 16th 1871.

An additional note in the register states "Recd. 4 March 1874"

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 September 16 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire many thanks yes got that what youve sent me its the stuff after that especially the death/probate that ive put on and the gravestone, i cant find any other named Barnes.
many thanks
Debbie xx
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Online crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 September 16 23:03 BST (UK) »
From doing a basic search on the 1939 register it seems he chose to use the surname Baines and reversed his first names.

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 September 16 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Crisane,
many thanks for getting back to me i dont understand what you mean changed his name to baines and altered is names round, do you mean hes going under Dalton William,
I am still unable to find anything for William Dalton either in Census's no marriage even though i know he married Faith Anna,no death and the same  goes for his father Charles.
Many thanks
Debbie xx

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 September 16 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Crisane,
I forgot to mention that their is also a problem with William dalton Barnes father Charles Barnes as their was living in same locale Charles Baines and his family,(also with a William Dolton Baines) this is where i have previously gone wrong, it wasent till i came across a death with gravestone picture and the name on the gravestone was clearly Baines, so with a lot of records/transcripts looking like either Barnes/Baines, this is where i went wrong.
I have taken a look at 1939 census like you said youve found and it looks like a Jane E is with him in the house,if its correct, shes changed her name around also should be Emma Jane, im unable to open as i dont have subscription to FindMyPast, can i ask do you have access, could you possible open and look to let me know what else is on the record for me please.
Many thanks
Debbie xxx

Online crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 September 16 22:59 BST (UK) »
The probate of William Dalton Baines of 10 Earlsgate Winterton Lincs is on ancestry. he died at no 6 Earlsgate 26 Feb 1957. Probate granted to William Henry BARNES - steel worker and Dorothy Emily Ling (wife of Frank Ling)

So this record shows the use of the names Baines and Barnes. Is William Henry William Dalton's son?

I am getting a bit puzzled. Is this William Henry Barnes your ancestor?

Online crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you are sure that the probate record has your ancestor correct then you have the correct W D Barnes/Baines person. I can't see another William Dalton Baines/Barnes born Lincolnshire, nor a plain William Barnes/Baines with parents Faith and Charles.

Some people did change their names slightly for whatever reason. My great grandfather did it to escape from his second wife and one of his sons kept the new name so that branch of the family will never get beyond their grandfather.