Author Topic: William Dolton Barnes 1871-1957 Winterton,Lincolnshire  (Read 2691 times)

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Dolton Barnes 1871-1957 Winterton,Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Crisane,
Once again many thanks for all your help with this problem of mine.
Yes William Henry Barnes (my Great Grandfather) b 1895 Winterton,Lincs, d 1961, he married Harriet Dowse Wild 1913.
 His father William Dalton Barnes b 1871 Winterton (my 2x Great Grandfather) he married Emma Jane Parrott/Parratt 6th July 1894 Winterton.
 In the 1901 and 1911 census they are still in Winterton in Northlands rd (1901) and Earlsgate (1911)working as Agricultual/Farm Labourer.
This is the final documents i can find with the name Barnes.

On every search on Ancestry after that it seems to be Baines, including the probate and gravestone Picture, I cant find anything on BMD for Barnes either.

Heres the grave stone details also on his wife Emma Jane.
Name:    William Dalton Baines
Death Date:    26 Feb 1957
Cemetery:    Winterton Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place:    Winterton, North Lincolnshire Unitary Authority, Lincolnshire, England
Has Bio?:    N
URL:    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-....

The probate i have, is the same as you found and posted on here previously for me, he leaves his estate to his son William Henry and his daughter Dorothy Emily, which is exactly as i have them in my tree.So far so good same children, although this supposedly belongs to William Dalton Baines.

I am in contact with a family member of  dorothys husband (frank Ling) and i dont think hes aware of the name change, but i will email him and ask him.

As for this other person i contacted( whos reply has set me on this trail) about William Dalton and his father and mother Charles Barnes and Faith Hannah Kirmen/Kernan/Kennan( all census records on Ancestry seem to have them coming from lincolnshire  upton, springthorpe,)  hes adamant there Baines as hes given me the exact same info that i have for them except for the fact that my Charles Barnes b 1849 is from Stillingfleet,Yorks, Faith Hannah is from Winterton.

This other person has the following:Charles Baines was my 2 x great uncle who was born in Upton,Lincs.
What is your relationship with Charles Baines and his wife Faith Hannah (Anna) Kirman (Kennan) . This surname has been recorded as Kerman, Kermand Kirman Kennan and even Kirkwood.

So as you can see this is a conundrum for me, im lead to understand people put different places of birth on census records but this doesent help me,with this name change, im not sure whether to ask this person if hes aware Baines is actually Barnes.

along with the pm message you sent me it does seem to look like they are the same people. Like you say they may have been hiding for whatever reason.
Many thanks once again
Debbie  ??? ???.

Barnes,Driffill,Altoft,Thompson,Metcalfe,Owbridge,
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 September 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi guys many thanks for all your help on the above person but it seems i have gone totally wrong on this side of the tree and i need to be looking at totally different line.
I have my grandmothers mother Harriet (Dowse) Wild b 1889 born Glanford Brigg who married William Barnes 1913 Frodingham Scunthorpe.( i thought he was the son of william dalton barnes as original post)but apparently this is not so. hence i now have to find out about this new line begining with William Barnes but i dont know where he comes form or when he was born.
I have contacted local registry office to see what is on the marriage cert for Harriet and William to see whats on it as per his parentage and occupation and birth details.
any help greatly appreciated.
many thanks
Debbie  ???
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 September 16 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie
Doing a basic search I can't see William with Harriet and children on the 1939 register
I think William died June 1/4 1936 registration district Glandford Bridge age 46 so born c1890.
To be absolutely sure of moving back correctly you need the marriage certificate for William and Harriet which will give his father's name unfortunately they won't give you the details without you purchase the certificate.

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 September 16 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrisane
Many thanks i have sent email to scunthorpe registry office about marriage cert so hopefully will hear back from them next week.
I have sent pm to you and many thanks for the research you did for me it was correct.
many thanks
Debbie xx

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrisane.
Just wanted to update you on the marriage cert for William Barnes and Harriet Wild.
If you remember you found a George Barnes living with her as a widow and we both assumed he was maybe a relative of her dead husband William this as know been confirmed from Scunthorpe registry office, Williams father is listed as George on his Marriage cert to Harriet.I am now going to ring up and ask them to send me the certificate in the post.
So the William Dolton Barnes above in subject is the wrong person so regardless of him been Barnes or Baines no longer applies to my searches. I have now deleted him from my tree, and put George Barnes as my Williams father for whom i know have to start again and to go down this line,  not sure where to start with this George as i  dont have a wife for george as i dont know where he comes from, any ideas greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Debbie :)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie
good that you are getting the marriage certificate because there are quite a few William Barn(e)s with father George. The certificate will give us George's occupation and William's occupation too which will help sort them out from the crowd.

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrisane,
Many thanks for your message im hoping the certificate arrives before i go on holiday next week, if not i will let you know what info it has on when i get back, George as i like you have found loads of  William and Georges both locally or nationally, so hopefully more info will be provided the break through required, apparently no mothers names on marriage cert,and not found williams birth as dont no where he was born.
Will be in touch soon
Many thanks once again for all your help
Debbie xxx

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 October 16 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all an update for my family tree problem above.
Firstly can i say that the original post is know completely wrong, i have know got a Marriage cert for my William Barnes b1890(dont know where) he married Harriet Wild b 1889 Scunthorpe, they was married 29th October 1913 at The Primitive Methodist Church, New Brumby, Scunthorpe.
Williams father was George Barnes Farm Labourer.
Harriets father was James Wild (deceased) Labourer.
Witnesses where Tom Linford Brown (harriets adopted father in 1911 census) and Grace Howell,(dont know who this lady was)
So i have know got the correct info i will endeavour to go and see down this new line.
Any help greatly appreciated,
Many thanks once again
Debbie xx

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 October 16 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,
I am struggling with William Barnes's birth i have 1890 from marriage certificate, unfortunatly im unable to find where born, has i cant find a census for 1901 and 1911 for him with his father George(from Marriage certificate)There are loads for Williams with George as father all over the uk,
I am fairly certain hes not local to scunthorpe where he married and lived till his death. I have checked all online births in scunthorpe, there is none, although i have found 2 births William Herbert Barnes 1890 Grantham and William Victor Barnes 1891 Lincoln, within Lincolnshire.

But i have nothing to say my William had a middle name,there are loads of birth nationally as William Barnes, and loads more on top of those as Williams with Middle names Nationally.

Can anyone suggest any further places to look also i dont know who is mother is as i have not found his father Georges birth, marriage, or any census info,  all i know is that george was a Farm labourer on Williams Marrage Cert, although i do have a possible death in 1941 in Scunthorpe where he was living in 1939  War census living with his daughter in law harriet.
many thanks
Debbie xx