Author Topic: Primary Schools 1920's Ruchill Street, Maryhill  (Read 3397 times)

Offline amberdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Primary Schools 1920's Ruchill Street, Maryhill
« on: Monday 19 September 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again.  I'd like your opinion as to what school registers I should look at when I get a chance to visit the Mitchell.

My Dad's family lived at 5 Ruchill Street (where Framptons is/was I believe).  My Dad would have been ready for school 1928. But he did have an elder brother who would have started  in 1923.  I'd particularly like to see my uncle's record as he died in WW2 and apart from his Merchant Navy service we know little about him.  The family were at No. 5 from 1913 to approx 1930.

I read a previous thread here about schools in Maryhill, by my amateurish look at Google maps etc, I would say they were living pretty much equal distance to the Oakbank school and the one on Viewmount Drive.  What do you think?

Would I just ask to see both school registers?  I would have told you the family were atheists, but got the shock of my life to discover my father was actually Church of Scotland or a least he was when in the army during WW2.  We would never have known.  We were sent to Sunday School, but to!d to make up our own minds regarding religion.

Thank you for your time.

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Primary Schools 1920's Ruchill Street, Maryhill
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 16:39 BST (UK) »
hi could be shakespeare primary school shakespeare street just over the maryhill road from ruchill street  at side of tesco supermarket it opened around 1913-15 now closed as a school

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
could also be eastpark primary school avenuepark street opened 1888 little further down from shakespeare primary its now closed as a school to could also be ruchill primary leighton street ruchill not sure of date but dont think they would have went there this school now closed demolished if you go to virtual mitchell you may get photos of the schools

harrywrag

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 16:55 BST (UK) »
could also be garbraid primary at garbraid avenue this school now demolished thou dont think it will be this one as a little bit further away i would try shakespeare first i think no 5 ruchill street would have been just accross from ruchill church beside viking bar junction maryhill road shakespeare street this part used to be called ruchill street

harrywrag

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
just a little note ruchill street at framptons wasnt origanaly there that was named harrington street changed to ruchill street with new road layout the part of ruchill street you are looking for is at now called shakespeare street at viking bar you can get photo ruchill street in virtuall mitchell this will give you idea to ruchill church

cheers
                                                     harrywrag

Offline amberdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 21:27 BST (UK) »
Harry, thanks for your reply and the names of schools to look up. The Shakespeare school looks intimidating to me from the Virtual collection, but must have been impressive at the time. I hope I find them on the school registers.

Thank you so much for pointing out my error over Ruchill now Shakespeare Street.  I'm hoping to visit the area next year and could have messed up if you hadn't pointed out the name change.

I guess I need to research if the street numbers are still the same and if it still exists as No. 5.

Best regards

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 21:53 BST (UK) »
amberdog, some background here on school records

www.scan.org.uk/knowledgebase/topics/schooladmissions.htm

www.scan.org.uk/knowledgebase/topics/schoollogbook.htm

I had these from an old link. Unfortunately, the hyperlinks on the r/h side FAQs don't seem to work anymore.

Monica  :)

Added: As often happens in Glasgow  ::) most roads lead to the Mitchell Library www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/the-mitchell-library/archives/collections/school-archives/pages/default.aspx
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
With harrywrag's suggestion, a photo here www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSE01295

This link also gives you some indication on street numbering, when comparing the address for Ruchill Church and Ruchill Street v. Shakespeare Street https://scotlandsurbanpast.org.uk/site/44050/glasgow-15-shakespeare-street-ruchill-parish-church

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 01:16 BST (UK) »
hi amberdog i think no 5 ruchill street would have been accross from the church it looks like no 5 was a stand alone property i have downloaded copy of valuation rolls from the glasgow story that my be of help i can send to you will pm you with my e.mail address valuation rolls from 1913 - 14 i went to shakespeare school from 1956

harrywrag