Author Topic: Primary Schools 1920's Ruchill Street, Maryhill  (Read 3410 times)

Offline amberdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Primary Schools 1920's Ruchill Street, Maryhill
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 September 16 07:47 BST (UK) »
hi amberdog i think no 5 ruchill street would have been accross from the church it looks like no 5 was a stand alone property i have downloaded copy of valuation rolls from the glasgow story that my be of help i can send to you will pm you with my e.mail address valuation rolls from 1913 - 14 i went to shakespeare school from 1956

harrywrag

Sorry for the slow response.  Thank you for the VR entry,I'll send you a private message with my email address.  If there, I would imagine the entry will likely be in my great Grans name, Catherine Gilmour.  Her husband William was in the merchant navy during WW1.  They were the tenants until the early 1920s then they retired to Perth.

Their eldest son Alexander my great uncle and my Grandfather then took over the lease.  Alexander remains there until the 1930 VR.  My grandfather split and left his family around 1928.  At least I assume he left around that time as he disappears off the Electoral Register.

I know Alexander moved to Stirrat Street by 1939 as his Army record (TA Glasgow Highlanders) has him there and it's the same address he dies at in the 1950s.

Can I ask why you think No. 5 was a stand alone property?  What's your thoughts on this?

Cheers
Maria

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 September 16 01:04 BST (UK) »
hi have sent few bits to you by pm hope you get them ok

harrywrag

Offline celtclogs

• Mailbox full
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 May 18 07:15 BST (UK) »
Harry, thanks for your reply and the names of schools to look up. The Shakespeare school looks intimidating to me from the Virtual collection, but must have been impressive at the time. I hope I find them on the school registers.

Thank you so much for pointing out my error over Ruchill now Shakespeare Street.  I'm hoping to visit the area next year and could have messed up if you hadn't pointed out the name change.

I guess I need to research if the street numbers are still the same and if it still exists as No. 5.

Best regards
"The Shakespeare school looks intimidating to me"It was believe me, I was there in 1964 to 1965 and hated every horrible moment there.😫
Ireland/Scotland/ Glasgow Flood,
Ireland/Scotland
Peebleshire /Lanarkshire Watson,
wigton/sorbie Mair,
Lanarkshire/Hope
Ireland/ Scotland/Tollcross Glasgow,Dochety
Tollcross Glasgow,Wilson,
Docherty Scotland / Ireland
Sherry Scotland /Ireland
McGhee Ireland/ Wigtownshire
McKeand Wigtownshire
Wilson south Leith