Author Topic: Williams Family  (Read 6971 times)

Offline biffbiff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Any tips for researching in Gorey
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
Does any one have anything on William Giles ( b.1832) or his son Michael (b.1873). The farm was listed on the 1911 census as being in Ballyrahan, Gorey, Co. Wexford. Are there any Giles cousins still in town? William's wife was Elizabeth Barrett (b.1834).

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Biff Biff do you know anymore details about them. I have Jiles in my family tree; but they lived at Ballydarragh, Craanford, and are buried in Rosminogue Cemetery. Just watch out for the spelling of the name it could be Gyles, Jiles etc.

gerard
Fleming, Walsh, Masterson, Tobin of Co. Kilkenny.
Doyle, Donovan, Kennedy, Sunderland, Behan, Pender, Kinsella of Co.Wexford

Offline biffbiff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lochgarman,
Here is what I know. I know that my great grandfather Henry was born in Gorey. Here is a list of all of the siblings in birth order.
Mathew b. 1861,
 John b. Nov. 11 1864 who travels to Brockton Mass in 1895. His address is 225 Grafton St, Brockton, MA  and returns again from Ireland in 1912, Thomas b.  May6 ,1867 goes to New York with Henry in 1892, 1897 as a US citizen,
Henry b. Nov 1, 1869,
Mary   b. Jan.6,1872  ,
Michael b. Dec. 14, 1873
William Giles  b. Sep, 26,1875 , William arrives in the US on August 25 1897 with $90.00 in his pocket. He is going to 175 Myrtle Street Brockton MA
  All were born in Gorey, Wexford, Ireland

Henry and Thomas came to the USA 1892 on board the ship "State of Nebraska" they list their last residence as Dublin.
 Later  Henry and  wife Margaret are crossing in August of 1897 on board the Majestic arriving at Ellis Island with four young children; William 6y6m, John 4y4m, Eliza 2y2m ( my grandmother) and Julia as an infant. They later settle in Brockton Massachusetts. Margaret lists her last residence as Cowedford.
Rumor says that Margaret's maiden name was Whitty.
Let me know if any of this helps. Thanks

Offline Jytefas

• RootsChat Member
  • James and Winifred Kavanagh Abt 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
Some More Giles:

Annesley –Mountnorris Estate Auction 1852

Giles owning Land Parcels @

Ballydarragh 179 Acres Tenants Names: Moses Giles, John Giles, and Michael Giles, representatives of Thomas Giles. Comment -  Lease dated 25th June, 1794, for three lives, and now depending on the life of John Giles, aged abt.60 yrs. This Lot is within 3 miles of Gorey; the road from which to Carnew and Carlow passes close by.

Upper Island 50 Acres Tenant Name Thomas Giles.

Ballyshaun (Ballyshane) 16 Acres Tenant Name Thomas and George Giles. Comment: Lease dated 1st April, 1815, for 21 years or life of Lewis Giles now aged abt 42 years.

Cheers John G.

Kavanagh - (Wexford, Dublin, Manchester, Liverpool and Illinois USA)
Kinsella - Ballyconlore / Kilanerin.
Doyle, Mahon, Nolan

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 May 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jytefas - good info i am sure they are my Giles. thanks for that.

Biff Biff will look up and see if any of your names fit in to anything anywhere!

thanks gerard

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Biff Biff,

sorry don't have much to report. I found your family in the local history book - Historic Gorey 2 by Michael Fitzpatrick. Its really a take on the census of 1911.

It says:
Wm. Giles, Head, R.C., aged 79, Farmer, Co. Wexford
Eliz. Giles, Wife, R.C., aged 77, Housewife, Co. Wexford
Michael Giles, Son, R.C., aged 37, Farmer, Co. Wexford.
Wm. Giles married 51 years, 10 children born, 7 living.

Ballyrahan is in the parish of kilnahue. Looking at the map its on the road out to Creagh/Hollyfort.
I looked up an old telephone book but did'nt see any Giles listed in it for that area.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Gerard

Offline biffbiff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 06 May 10 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerard,
Thanks for checking. I am still trying to go back in time to find Giles before my great grandfather. I was told by my father and aunts that their grandfather told them the Giles were Scottish. Perhaps I am trying too hard to find an additional generation in Ireland and going further back I need to examine Scotland.
If you come acros anything please do let me know. Again thank you.
Denise

Offline spacezebra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 03:44 BST (UK) »
Andy,

I saw your listing for the Bell family.  I am descended from the Bates and Bell families from Gorey, Co. Wexford, although I don't have much more info than that.  Here is what I have::::

1.  WILLIAM BATES was born 04 Jul 1794 in Gorey, Wexford, Ireland, and died 27 Feb 1867 in Freeport, Armstrong, PA.  He married JEMIMA BELL 22 Feb 1825 in Gorey.  She was born 22 Feb 1804 in Gorey, Wexford, Ireland, and died 11 Apr 1888 in Freeport, Armstrong, PA.

Children of WILLIAM BATES and JEMIMA BELL are:
2.   i.   ELEANOR BATES, b. 09 Mar 1826, Gorey, Wexford, Ireland; d. 24 Apr 1899, Freeport, Armstrong, PA.
3.   ii.   JOSEPH B. BATES, b. 03 Jan 1828, Gorey, Wexford, Ireland; d. 01 Jul 1878, Hatborrough, PA.
   iii.   THOMAS BATES, b. 22 Mar 1830, Gorey, Wexford, Ireland; d. 25 Nov 1853.
   iv.   MARY CATHERINE BATES, b. 29 Jul 1832, Lake Erie; d. Paulding County, OH; m. WILLIAM WILSON, Freeport, PA.
   v.   WILLIAM EDWARD BATES, b. Bet. 27 Feb 1835 - 1836, Freeport, Armstrong, PA; d. 13 May 1866, Freeport, Armstrong, PA.
   vi.   SARA JANE BATES, b. 16 Apr 1836, Freeport, Armstrong, PA; d. 02 Jan 1838, Freeport, Armstrong, PA.
   vii.   SARA JANE BATES, b. 10 Apr 1838, Freeport, Armstrong, PA; d. 31 Oct 1912, S. Oil City, PA; m. CHARLES BROWN; d. 1901, S. Oil City, PA.
   viii.   ALICE ANN BATES, b. 28 Jul 1840, Freeport, Armstrong, PA; d. 10 Aug 1869, Venange City, PA; m. SAMUEL MCKAIN, 31 Jan 1865.
   ix.   ELIZABETH BATES, b. 08 Apr 1843, Freeport, Armstrong, PA; d. 10 Aug 1872, Freeport, Armstrong, PA.
4.   x.   MARGRET BATES, b. 04 Mar 1846, Freeport, Armstrong, PA; d. 23 Apr 1881, Parker Twp, Butler, PA.
   xi.   JAMES BELL BATES, b. Abt. Mar 1850, Freeport, Armstrong, PA; d. 09 Mar 1852, Freeport, Armstrong, PA.

Any links or info would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Derek

Offline andyb1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 17 June 10 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek

I've not got any further back than John Bell who was my 3 x great grandfather.  The trail goes cold in 1858 when his son Joshua Bell married Mary Woods in Gorey Register Office.  Whether Jemima is a relative of his or not I have no idea. It may well be the case that they are related but I haven't made the connection yet.

Andrew