Author Topic: Looking for information on 3rd great grandparents Daniel Neving who died 1870  (Read 1554 times)

Offline neving123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for information on 3rd great grandparents Daniel Neving who died 1870
« on: Wednesday 14 September 16 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm new to rootschat. Looking for information on 3rd great grandparents Daniel Neving who died 1870 Gorey Wexford and his wife Prescilla Nevin nee Shaw who died 1869 Anne Street Gorey Wexford.
How do I find out where they are buried? Their 2 sons came to Ontario Canada in the early 1850's. Any information on the Neving/Nevin family and Shaw family in Wexford would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Any tips for researching in Gorey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 04:11 BST (UK) »
hi                                     
My  Great Grand mother was Winafred Finn Monbay Craanford and she married Michael Doyle Rossminogue around 1860 she was born 1838. Parish records missing for this time.Trying to find out who her father and mother were  and if she had bros and sisters. Having no luck. Going by the way children were named those times I should be looking for a Michael and a Winafred . Cant find them . Can anyone help . Very grateful.  wexfordlady.

Take a look at the other thread about the civil registration records going online. Once the marriage and death records from the 1860s are online (not yet available), you will be able to browse through all the local Finn deaths and marriages, looking for those from Monbay or vicinity. There are a reasonable number of Finn BMDs in the Gorey registration district in the indices.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 04:21 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm new to rootschat. Looking for information on 3rd great grandparents Daniel Neving who died 1870 Gorey Wexford and his wife Prescilla Nevin nee Shaw who died 1869 Anne Street Gorey Wexford.
How do I find out where they are buried? Their 2 sons came to Ontario Canada in the early 1850's. Any information on the Neving/Nevin family and Shaw family in Wexford would be greatly appreciated.

Is Neving a mistake for Nevin? I can see a death registration for Prescilla, but not for Daniel, so I wonder where you got the name/date from?
As to your question, you basically have just two (three?) options:

- Do you know their religion? If so, you can check to see if there are any surviving burial registers for local churches (not just Gorey).

- Check the memorial inscriptions for Co. Wexford recorded by the late Brian Cantwell. I believe some commercial genealogy companies have his transcripts available, see http://www.madaboutgenealogy.com/irish-memorials-to-the-dead-index-now-online/
In particular, the free online indexes show that there are Finn memorials in many Wexford graveyards - the indexes allow you to figure out which ones, see
http://www.iancantwell.com/BrianCantwellMemorials.php

- Traipse through the local graveyards yourself. You will find that just about all previous transcription efforts have gaps/omissions.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline wexfordlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 20:44 BST (UK) »
thank you  civil records are now on line, still cant find Winafred Finn born around 1838

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 21:31 BST (UK) »
thank you  civil records are now on line, still cant find Winafred Finn born around 1838
There was no Civil Records in 1838, they didn't start until 1864.
1845 for non Catholic marriages.

Offline wexfordlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 September 16 13:13 BST (UK) »
thank you

Offline neving123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 September 16 14:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip of Brian Cantwell's memorials. Can anyone do a look up on the CD for Nevin #339. I don't know if I can easily get the CD in Canada.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 September 16 14:28 BST (UK) »
hi                                     
My  Great Grand mother was Winafred Finn Monbay Craanford and she married Michael Doyle Rossminogue around 1860 she was born 1838. Parish records missing for this time.Trying to find out who her father and mother were  and if she had bros and sisters. Having no luck. Going by the way children were named those times I should be looking for a Michael and a Winafred . Cant find them . Can anyone help . Very grateful.  wexfordlady.

There are FINN graves in Craanford, including a Winefred Finn from Monbay died 1831. too early, but maybe same family.

4 other FINN graves, 3 of them modern.

edit - I see a Winefred and Michael Doyle of Rossminogue there too.
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline neving123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 September 16 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi This is my 3rd post. I found our Daniel Neving and Priscilla Shaw's marriage in the St Mogues Church Vestry Records 1760-1819 transcribed by John Beatty and it was online! The marriage was Aug 9th 1810 and it says that they were both of the Parish of Ballycanew. Their daughter Jane was born the next year. There was also a William Shaw and Mary Waldron marriage Mar 12 1812 both of Ballycanew. Does anyone know of the Nevings and Shaws of Ballycanew? And where they might be buried? Daniel and Priscilla's 2 sons Thomas Shaw Neving b abt 1828 and David born abt 1822 came to Toronto Ontario Canada early 1850's and then are found in the 1861 census for Owen Sound Ontario Canada. Thomas was a shoemaker and David a butcher. What is the best way to research Ballycanew? I am from Canada and I don't think will be coming to Ireland any time soon. Thanks