Author Topic: Dr George Chapman, Alvah  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dr George Chapman, Alvah
« on: Monday 19 September 16 12:52 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have anything on the Chapman families in Alvah in the 1720s? Specifically the families of a George Chapman (who had a son George in 1723) and an Alexander Chapman (who had a son James in 1721)?

Dr George Chapman died 22 Feb 1806 in Edinburgh; he was born Aug 1723 at Little Blackton, Alvah to George Chapman. Being a schoolteacher and lawyer as well as an author, his life is well enough documented in contemporary magazines and books. His Will gives some details but it's not him I'm after!

Margaret Chapman d/o James Chapman gardner in Bathgate (West Lothian) married George Borthwick 24 Oct 1773. Dr George Chapman witnessed the baptism of one of their children (maybe others - haven't looked) and George Borthwick, then a wire manufacturer, was an Executor in George Chapman's Will. There are two rather cryptic MIs in Bathgate High Church Cemetery side-by-side, one for a son of George Borthwick who died 1789 and the other by James Chapman in memory of his (unnamed) children - I reckon the former's mother is Margaret Chapman and the latter is Margaret Chapman's father.

I also reckon this Margaret Chapman was born in 1753 in Bathgate to James Chapman & Kathrine Hog (they married in Bathgate). I think, therefore, this James Chapman was closely related to Dr George Chapman, possibly a cousin, and thus from Alvah. Hence my posting.

My Chapman line is nearby in Abercorn, Corstorphine and St Cuthberts, with one line moving to Bathgate where they became leading citizens of the town. I'm trying to see if my Chapmans connect with these other Bathgate Chapmans - but it would be somewhat unexpected to trace mine back to Banffshire where I already have a few recorded. 

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dr George Chapman, Alvah
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 September 16 17:36 BST (UK) »
These three stones are next to one another at Alvah:

George Chapman died at Inchdrewer, May 11, 1777, aged 87, and Hellen Stewart, his spouse died Jan. 4, 1780 (aged 93?)

Here lie interred the bodys of George Chapman, sometime in Blacktown who departed this life anno 1716, and of Isabel Ellies his spouse who died on the first day of August, anno 1737. This stone is erected to their memory by their children.

Here are interred Eliz. Chapman, wife of Wm. Longmore, farmer in Rattie, who d. Dec. 14, 1768, aged 42, and their daughter Helen, d. aged 10.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dr George Chapman, Alvah
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks. The first is Dr George Chapman's father; the third is his sister; I would expect the second to be his gdfather. (Both father and son farmed Inchdrewer.)