Author Topic: Help - McMillan Family Line  (Read 2532 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help - McMillan Family Line
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 September 16 23:30 BST (UK) »
Would her death record contain her maiden name or father's name?

Name:   Ann McMillan
Estimated birth year:   abt 1793
Registration Year:   1880
Registration Quarter:   Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at Death:   87
Registration district:   Cheltenham

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 September 16 09:47 BST (UK) »
Acording to FreeBMD Death Certificates may contain some or all of the following:
District, Location, Date & Place of Death,
Forename & Surname, Sex, Maiden Name,
Date & Place of Birth, Occupation, Usual Address,
Informant's Forename & Surname,
Informant's Qualification, Informant's Address,
Cause of Death, Signature of Informant,
Registration Date, Registrar's Signature.

However the GRO web site says
The details contained on a death certificate include:
Name, date and place of death.
Date and place of birth (before 1969 a certificate only showed age of deceased).
Occupation and usual address.
Cause of death.
The person who gave information for the death registration.

The GRO's guide to death certificates says that the name on the certificate will be the name by which the person was known at the time of death, not the name they were given at birth.

So I think it is unlikely that Ann's death certificate will tell you the name of her father, and certainly not that of her mother.

I believe that you are allowed to ring or e-mail a local registrar and ask a question to which the answer will be yes or no. In this case you could contact the Gloucestershire Archives at Gloucestershire Archives, Clarence Row, Alvin Street, Gloucester GL1 3DW, telephone 01242 532455, fax 01242 254600 or e-mail cheltenham.ro@gloucestershire.gov.uk and ask them whether her name, or the name of the informant, on Ann's death certificate contains any information that might enable you to find out her maiden surname*. If the answer is yes, you can then order a copy of the certificate. Note that the local registrars do not use the same index as the GRO/FreeBMD. You can find out the reference used by the Gloucestershire registrars at http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/DeathSearch.aspx

*Don't just ask if it lists her maiden name. If you do, they will look at her name and probably reply no. If, however, the informant was, say, a niece or nephew, you may be able to use that to work out what her maiden surname was.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 06:03 BST (UK) »
Good explanation Forfarian,

Not that this will help OP but that's how I found extra info. for a daughter of my 3x g g/father who died 1873.

He was a widower when he died, the informant was a female with same forename as his daughter Johanna.
I knew her forename but she had married after 1871 & died prior to 1881 but with given forename with a different surname gave me a timeline for her marriage.

So yes, sometimes a death cert. can yield something of interest/importance.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Emmarebecca88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi just wondering if you have got any further with this? Iv stumbled across the Mcmillans in my own tree. Daniels wife was Ann Costins and they married in Oxfordshire in 1824.