Author Topic: Priscilla Evans Great Boughton 1838  (Read 697 times)

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Priscilla Evans Great Boughton 1838
« on: Tuesday 20 September 16 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hello.  Trying to find baptism Priscilla Evans, birth registered Great Boughton Apr-Jun 1838 - 1851 census says born Chester.  Parents William and Priscilla.  William a boatman.  Previous child Edward baptised Steam Mill Street Primitive Methodist 25 May 1836, abode "canal bank".  Being boat family could be en route to Wombourne, Staffs (or elsewhere, but seems sensible to begin with Chester area), where they appear in 1841 census.
Help appreciated.
Dion
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Priscilla Evans Great Boughton 1838
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi dionysus,

If they were Methodists, the post-1837 registers for Steam Street Methodist (or any other Methodist church in Cheshire) will be at the Cheshire Archives. Have you been able to see these at all? The post-1837 baptisms aren't on the IGI.

Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your reply.  At least it tells me I've not missed anything obvious.  Looks like I should contact the archive and see what they can do.  Priscilla was not a direct ancestor - I was just trying to work out when the family left Chester, presumably as a result of competition from railways and Liverpool / Merseyside.
Cheers!
Dion
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
Marriage 5.10.1818 Doddleston
William Evans and Priscilla Mousedale
wit John and Suzanna

Children at Doddleston  John 11.7.1819 lab,Robert 6.2.1822,Jane 1.5.1824,Thomas 15.5.1827.
at Chester st John Mary 27.6.1830 Queen St lab,William 6.8.1831 Queen St flatman  and Frances 4.2.1833 flatman Queen St.

So they left sometime after that.
Ciderdrinker

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 13:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ciderdrinker.  I was aware of the Doddleston connections, but had not picked up on the occupations.  However, my question was about 1838 - I guess Priscilla was baptised at Steam Mill Street and they moved to Wombourne soon after, but I need to check the archive.

Dion