Author Topic: Searching for Garforth family in Ashton-Under-Lyne  (Read 4863 times)

Offline JT101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Garforth family in Ashton-Under-Lyne
« on: Tuesday 20 September 16 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am trying to piece together some family for my aunt.  She has no records of certain family members and no memory of any information as she is in her 80s, but I have pieced together what I can.  I have had limited success with GRO, but of course you have to know first where and when your looking for which I don't.  I have also used FreeBMD which has given me some clues. So here is what I have so far:

I am looking for the birthdate and location of her mother (Dorothy Alice Garforth (formerly Carter), her father (Joseph Garforth) and his mother and father.  A freeBMD search suggests their names are John Garforth and Martha Ann Garforth (formerly Dean), but that is just a guess based on dates and location.

Both her parents were British, but her father was a Banardos baby and went to Canada according to her brother.  He also claims her father Joseph was born in Ashton-Under-Lyne.  Not sure how he met her mother Dorothy, but my aunt was born in Canada, and then at some point they all migrated back to England.
Her birth certificate (Sep 1932) puts Joseph her father at 46 or 47 years old, meaning he was born 1885 or 1886.  However, I received a birth certificate from the GRO for a Joseph Garforth born 4th June 1888 in Ashton-Under-Lyne.
Her brother claims their mother was born in Addington, but which Addington and where I'm not sure (the only Addington I know is in Kent).  I hazard a guess, that back in the 1880s, people were still marrying locally, and the world was not such a globalised place, so I found on freeBMD a Dorothy Carter born in Warrington March 1887.

Following on from that a few more searches revealed some possibilities for her grandparents.  Josephs birth certificate (if indeed it is the right man), lists John Garforth and Mary Ann Garforth as parents.  Again, assuming they grew up and lived in Ashton-Under-Lyne, I found John Garforth Born Sept 1850, and a Martha Ann Dean Sept 1858.  But who knows if these are correct.

Not sure what else I should do now.  I had thought about signing up to Ancestry, but I'm not planning on doing a massive family tree.  Just piecing together immediate family for her, so those four above will be sufficient.  Am happy to order more certificates from GRO, but until I'm more certain of names and dates it may not be worth it.

And suggestions on what to do next more than welcome.  Thanks

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Garforth family in Ashton-Under-Lyne
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 10:37 BST (UK) »
there this this family
departing Montreal Quebec Canada aboard the Ascania
arriving London 18 mar 1937
address in England they were going to 13 Salisbury Rd Croydon
Joseph Garforth 50 Engineer
Dorothy 36 Housewife
George 10
Kathleen 9
Albert 8
Eline 4

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome,

There is a family showing as arriving in 1937 from Montreal but it does say that the country of last permanent residence was England  :-\

Joseph 50 yrs Engineer
Dorothy 36 yrs
Plus children (I won't name them) 2 boys 10 yrs and 8 yrs and two girls 9 yrs and 4 yrs.
Their intended residence is Croydon.
Could this be your family?

Regards
Heywood

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 10:39 BST (UK) »
Death of a still born child in British Columbia in 1930 , born to Joseph Garforth and Dorothy Carter :

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-D4HQ-LWV?i=922&wc=S62S-829%3A1069398401%3Fcc%3D1538285&cc=1538285
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
there is this record
departing Liverpool 31 mar 1898
destination Halifax Canada
J Garforth age 9
there are lots of other children on the same page travelling without parents -could this be Barnardo boys

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
1921 census

Joseph Garforth b 1886 immig 1898 lodger
Dorothy Garforth b 1894
Lucien Gagne and family

in Shipton Quebec

J Garforth in Home Children records  1898 :

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/home-children-1869-1930/immigration-records/Pages/list.aspx?Surname=garforth&GivenName=j&

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 10:56 BST (UK) »
There is this death which could be Martha

June quarter 1897 Ashton under Lyne vol 8d pg 381

Martha Ann  Garforth 33 yrs

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 11:00 BST (UK) »
1911 census in Assiniboia, Saskatchewan

Edward J Heath 35 b England
Florence Heath 25 b England wife
Albert Edward Heath son
Joseph GARFORTH 22 b England immig 1900 , brother

Death record dated 1976 for Muriel Dorothy McGrath , daughter of Edward J Heath and Florence GARFORTH :

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FLBP-31F