Author Topic: Totally Baffled - James & John Cowan in 1921  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Ian Cowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Totally Baffled - James & John Cowan in 1921
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 September 16 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi PB - Thanks for your help. Could it be that part of the 1921 Census has not been properly published?
Cowan family from Paisley, Scotland

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 September 16 18:44 BST (UK) »
Well, there is always a chance that #15 Chryessa was written up on another page that was missed when the census was filmed. I have, though, gone through the entire published district page by page and there is no sign of #15 or James and John. I didn't check the page numbers, however, so if you have access you could check if any pages are missing at your leisure.

Assuming James was living in #15 (1920 death notice and 1921 directory seem to corroborate this)....

My personal thought is that #15 should sequentially come after 9, 11, and 13 on the respective page. It looks to me like the enumerator perhaps either forgot to collect the info from the house or didn't write it on his sheets. It is so very unfortunate that James and John may have been missed off the census. It would be so 'cool' to see them on it.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Ian Cowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 September 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who has got involved with this. Disappointing result, but comforting to know that the failure was not due to my own I experience.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 September 16 02:10 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know... I have never been able to find my grandmother and her family on the 1921 census.  I know where they lived and all of their names, and I have paged through chunks of the census looking for them.  Still no luck.  I can't find any of their neighbours either, which makes me wonder if there is a bit missing, or horribly transcribed, or misfiled???

Lucky for me, the 1921 census won't give me any information I don't already have, so I am letting it go!    :) 

You are not alone :) :)

RK

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 September 16 04:07 BST (UK) »
I've not been able to find them doing this, but is there any chance that James and John could have sailed back to Scotland in between his wife's death and their sailing in 1921 (and then returned to Ontario prior to the 1921 sailing)?  Perhaps he took John with him to Scotland to make arrangements for their return in 1921?   ???  Since we've not yet found them in Ontario, I thought I might mention another slight possible reason that they haven't been found.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Ian Cowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 September 16 15:29 BST (UK) »
Lisa - Thank you for your thoughts. However, I am not sure if James would have sailed to Scotland with John and not Agnes, and if he did why did he not leave John with his parents in Paisley and return to Canada alone.