Author Topic: David May estate at Epsom, 1813  (Read 678 times)

Offline Beetle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David May estate at Epsom, 1813
« on: Tuesday 20 September 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across this property?  It appears in the executors' accounts for the will of John Tilt of Capel in 1813.  It seems that John held a mortgage on it, but where in Epsom is it, and who was David May?

Any ideas gratefully received,

Beetle.   
Tilts in Surrey and Sussex
Smiths in Bilston, Staffs
Naylors in Sedgley, Staffs

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David May estate at Epsom, 1813
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 21:10 BST (UK) »
There's a David May, butcher, of Epsom on the Surrey Jury-Qualified Freeholders and Copyholders lists of 1804, 1806, 1809 and 1810 - however no address given, sorry

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 21:19 BST (UK) »
The Surrey land tax records are on Ancestry. There are a number of entries for David May in the 1780s - 1819, as occupier rather than proprietor. They're in the Leatherhead, fetcham and Dorking areas. No direct links to John Tilt, but I guess he didn't have to be the owner to have a mortgage on it

Offline Beetle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 18:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for these two valuable pieces of information, Mabel.  The executors' accounts say that they received £255 for the mortgage on the David May estate at Epsom on 9th August 1813, as well as £14.9s.4d for rent on it.  But I don't know for what period the rent was, although this item does not appear again in the four years covered by the accounts.

John Tilt was an illiterate yeoman farmer who made a lot of money from smuggling and highway robbery.  He had several loans out when he died - I expect it was a form of money laundering!

I am grateful for your help.

Beetle. 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 21:07 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of "The Residential Copyholds of Epsom" by H L Lehmann (which includes some annotations thought to be in the author's own hand).

This records the 1803 sale to David May of the messuage adjoining the Marquis of Granby pub - a butchers shop, stable, garden and yard, with a right of way shared with the Marquis of Granby and the use of the pump. On 19 September 1804 David May mortgaged the property to John Tilt of Dorking, yeoman, for £150 at 5%, and further increased this mortgage on 11 Feb 1808. There is more detail but I think that is probably enough to identify the property.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beetle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 September 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
Fantastic, ShaunJ.  Many thanks.  It makes good sense, the Marquis of Granby being off the A24, the road to Dorking.  I have a dim recollection of visiting it on Boxing Day, 1957, and it's nice to see on the web that it's still there. 

Beetle

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 September 16 17:32 BST (UK) »
I think the property in question is 2 West Street (across the alley from the Marquis) which is now an estate agent's premises. I can remember it being a butcher's shop.

There are a couple of nice photos here from circa 1911: http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/2WestStEpsom.html
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beetle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 September 16 10:21 BST (UK) »
They are indeed very nice photos.  Thank you for the link.  The whole site seems to be an excellent resource for finding out about things in Epsom, and I have some leads I can follow up there. 

Beetle.