Author Topic: Willson family Leicester  (Read 2182 times)

Offline redleicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Willson family Leicester
« on: Wednesday 21 September 16 16:10 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to the children of George A Willson 1862-1942 and Sarah Williams 1867 and 1945
(My ggrandparents).

I can remember my grandmother telling me the names of her brothers and sisters and being really shocked that she had an older brother called George who died and then the next brother was called George. (OK, I was pretty young back then).    I can still see her standing by the sideboard ticking off her fingers against the names of all her brothers and sister and there being a lot more then  were actually alive. (hope that makes sense).

Brothers and sisters I know:

George T Willson (1891) ,George E Willson 1895 - (not sure when he died), Cyril Willson 1898-1950, Mona G Willson 1899-1988, Rebecca Sadie Willson 1902-1990, Irene E Willson 1904-

According to the 1911 Census there were 10 children, 5 alive and 5 dead.  My question is, how do I go about finding the names of the other children. 

I've found George T Willson (1891) when searching the news archives, but have not had any luck trying to find the others. 

I'm a member of Ancestry if my lack of success find the others is due to  a user error

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Willson family Leicester
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
A few ideas:

HAve you found the family on 1891 and 1901 (as well as the 1911 you mention) to see if there are any of the chidren there, if they lived over a census time?

Does the family consistently use the name with the unusual double "l" in Willson? And do they live in the same place , or move around a lot?  If consistant with both, then look for deaths fir children in the right registration district from date of marriage to 1911. There may still be too many to narrow down.
If not, then it will be looking in PArish registers fir chrisenings and burials.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redleicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
All of the ones I've mentioned I know (or knew) as there were my aunts and uncles.  (not the first George as he died as a baby).

I tried looking in the earlier census to see if they were mentioned there but no luck.

My g grandparents lived in Leicester but moved around a bit (but always in the Leicester area).

on the 1901 Census there was George (no 2) aged 5,  Cyril aged 3 and Mona aged 1
on the 1911 Census there was  George (no 2)aged 15, Cyril age 13 and Mona aged 11, Sadie Rebecca aged 8 and Elizabeth Irene aged 6 (the 1911 census confirms 5 children died)

GGparents married 1889
children were born
1891  (died as a baby)
Census 1911 (10 children - 5 dead)

They were using the LL in Willson.

Thanks for reading the post and getting back to me

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 17:14 BST (UK) »
In the same grave as George Albert (buried 1942) are the following

27 Nov 1891 George Tom aged 5 months, Belgrave Gate
27 Aug 1894 Ivy aged 4 months, Lower Willow Street
28 Oct 1896 Gertrude Rosetta aged 3, Cumberland Street
7 Sep 1901 Vida Victoria aged 4 months, 179 Martin Street
20 Oct 1910 William aged 3 of 79 Bedford Street

70 79 Bedford Street is also the address given for George Albert.

Added: they are buried at Welford Road Cemetery, Consecrated, Section I, plot 121. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 17:35 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to the children of George A Willson 1862-1942 and Sarah Williams 1867 and 1945
(My ggrandparents).

As Sarah wasn't in the same plot I looked for a Sarah Willson buried 1945 but couldn't find her,  however, there was this:

4 Dec 1948 Sarah Willson aged 81 of 79 Bedford Street.  This was in Plot I 572 (consecrated), burial number 70416.

In Plot I 571 is a Cyril Willson buried 8 Mar 1950 aged 51.  Burial No 70833.  Looks like he died at the Royal Infirmary. There are actually quite a few Willson's/ Wilsons in family plots in Section I, so I'm happy to look up any specifics.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline redleicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 22:02 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you so much.  You are a star.  I've been trying to find the other children for ages. 

How did you know where to look.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 22:36 BST (UK) »
How did you know where to look.

I didn't for sure but as you had a death year for George Albert & it was at a time when municipal cemeteries were more common, it seemed a good starting point.  Families aren't always buried together but in your case it seems they largely were.

I should also add that where I said "family plots" previously I should have said freehold, ie the plots had been bought but may previously have been used as common graves.

Offline redleicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 September 16 08:15 BST (UK) »
  "4 Dec 1948 Sarah Willson aged 81 of 79 Bedford Street.  This was in Plot I 572 (consecrated), burial number 70416."

Sarah Willson was my GGrandmother, I wonder why she wasn't buried with her husband and children.  Could you tell me if she is buried with anyone else - thanks

"In Plot I 571 is a Cyril Willson buried 8 Mar 1950 aged 51.  Burial No 70833.  Looks like he died at the Royal Infirmary. There are actually quite a few Willson's/ Wilsons in family plots in Section I, so I'm happy to look up any specifics."

Cyril is my mothers uncle - so  family.  Would  you be able to tell me if he is buried with anyone else?

There are a lot of Willsons in the family tree as my GGrandfather,  George Willson, came from a  family of 9, all who seemed to have lived in Leicester

Once again thank you for your help

Thank you so much for your help,

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Keep plodding on you Will find it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 September 16 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've had a look at my copy of St Margaret's Leicester Parish Register and it has 2 entries for children of a George William Wilson & Sarah. As follows
Albert Edward Wilson Birth 8 Nov 1901 sibling to Gladys
Gladys Wilson Birth 23 March 1902 .... sibling to Albert Edward.

There is  another couple Tom & Rosetta Willson baptizing children at St Margarets in this time frame so probably the Welford Road Cemetery burials need looking into further?

Bunnygirl
Leicestershire; Rothley,  Fowkes, Biddles, Dawson, Allen, Lambert, Tebbett, Needham , Horner, Cooper, Pagett, Jaques, Kinton, Newbald, Duffill    Halford, Cope, Bywater , Hunt
Bedfordshire; Cardington, Trueman, Wilstead  Bridges, Clark(e), Redman
Essex; Eady, Newman, Copsey, Rawlin, Gilders, Smith  
Rotherhithe; Henderson, Eady. Lambert
Rutland & Bedfordshire  Staffod, Glover, Tom(b)lin
Suffolk  (Wissington) Eady.
Lincolnshire, Tomlin