Author Topic: Thomas Fletcher Barnsley Clockmaker  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Fletcher Barnsley Clockmaker
« on: Thursday 22 September 16 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi All looking for some help on the children of Thomas Fletcher born 1780 died 1870 Barnsley clockmaker married to Mary bashforth 28th December 1806, the children i have had down for them for several years are: William Frederick Fletcher 1811 to 1901, James Smallwood Fletcher 1816 to 1903, Maria Fletcher 1824 to 1878, Mary Ellen Fletcher 1828 to ?, Matlida Fletcher 1830 to ?, and Charles Fletcher 1835 to 1880 but recently i have come across a piece from a book called The Old Clockmakers Of Yorkshire that says Thomas had at least 7 sons and it lists George as one of them whom died in the east indies i have managed to find his birth in 1821 and a probable marriage to Eliza Abernathy    8 Jun 1842 - Vellore, Madras, India, unfortunately i am not a world member on ancestry so cant check this one further just yet, i have also found Edgar Fletcher 1814 and John Halliwell Fletcher 1819 both of these list parents as Thomas & Mary occupation clockmaker but unable to find any other info on these last 2 so wondering if anyone can help finding either a death record or possible marriages as not having much luck. Regards Richard
Fletcher, Ogley, Shaw, Harvey, Dearnley, Simmons, Rodgers, Oldham, Robinson
Area,s Include - Barnsley, Gainsborough, Sheffield, Everton Drakeholes, Clayworth,

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Fletcher Barnsley Clockmaker
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 September 16 03:55 BST (UK) »
Looks like i have found a burial record at St Marys the virgin Barnsley for Edgar Fletcher that fits 24th April 1815 aged 1 so one less to look for
Area,s Include - Barnsley, Gainsborough, Sheffield, Everton Drakeholes, Clayworth,

Offline Jay55

• RootsChat Member
  • Yorkshire born and bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 September 16 13:35 BST (UK) »
Have you got the baptisms of George & Eliza's children?
Personal family names: CONNELL (Leeds) RIMINGTON (Leeds, Skipton) RHODES (Leeds) PICKERSGILL (Kirklington, Masham, Leeds), DAWSON (Silsden, Bradford)
KNOWLSON (Thormanby) STURDY (Yorkshire) CARISS (Easingwold & Australia) RYMER (Easingwold) ASK(E) (Easingwold/York)

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 September 16 14:14 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this will be any help, but I have an excellent book called The making of Barnsley by Brian Elliot in which there is a small section on clockmakers including a mention of a Thomas Fletcher who apparently had premises in Shambles St in 1822.
I don't know if the book is still in print as it is more than 20 years since I bought it.
The ISBN is 0 9507892 6 7. & it was published by Wharncliffe  Publishing.

regards  Marion

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 September 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jay55 & everyone else, thanks for your help at the minute i have nothing on George i only came across his name a few days ago after reading a piece in the book about him being the son of Thomas and dying in the east indies, the possible marriage is showing as a hint on my Ancestry, i have however come across a few more possible sons Henry Thomas Fletcher born 1807 and Edward 1809 to 1814 no death certificate for this last one but someone kindly sent me all the Fletcher burials for St Mary's Barnsley from 1800 to 1860 a few moths ago and Edwards burial shows up there 6th of December 1814, and just to throw another spanner in the works John Halliwell Fletcher was baptised on the 11th of April 1819 at barnsley St Mary's but it is also showing a John Richard Fletcher parents Thomas & Mary on the same date 11th of April 1819 could they have been twins or just a mistake

Offline Jay55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 September 16 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Fletcher42

I have attached the list of George & Eliza's children and George & Eliza's marriage. I also have the scans from the original registers taken off FindMyPast website if you would like them. Just looking into marriages of the children

Jane
Personal family names: CONNELL (Leeds) RIMINGTON (Leeds, Skipton) RHODES (Leeds) PICKERSGILL (Kirklington, Masham, Leeds), DAWSON (Silsden, Bradford)
KNOWLSON (Thormanby) STURDY (Yorkshire) CARISS (Easingwold & Australia) RYMER (Easingwold) ASK(E) (Easingwold/York)

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 September 16 15:38 BST (UK) »
Brilliant Jay55 thank you does anyone know when he moved and does that say Private for his occupation

Offline Jay55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 September 16 15:55 BST (UK) »
When Alfred John was baptised in 1862 George was a sarjeant in Madras Sappers & Miners. I can not find a death for him or Eliza on FindMyPast
I have downloaded the entries from the registers so if you would like them, private message our email and I'll send them to you

Offline jacko-to

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 September 16 15:57 BST (UK) »
Rank or profession on Marriage - Private 2nd ELI (European Light Infantry) - according to Mr Google.

Angie
Rea - Ireland & Liverpool
Dawson- Cornwall & Liverpool
Hall - Preston & Liverpool
Delaney - Dublin & Liverpool
Morris/Jones/Parry/Prees - Llanberis
Cray - County Clare & Liverpool
Gillespie - Belfast & Liverpool
Brown/Little - Newry

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk