Author Topic: Can anyone help me please.  (Read 7653 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me please.
« on: Thursday 22 September 16 02:53 BST (UK) »
to find the marriage of William Fewell to Hannah, the couple baptised a son William 5 Feb 1744 at Felsted Essex and after William’s baptism in 1744 the family seemingly vanish off the face of the earth, I didn’t find the marriage in the Felsted PRs.

I have tried on many occasions searches on Family Search, Free Reg, I don’t have subs to The Genealogist or FindMyPast but nothing comes up on the initial searches.  I’m hoping that perhaps William and Hannah went back to wherever they married sometime after their son William’s baptism in 1744 and had more children there.

What I’m trying to do is satisfy myself 100% that another William Fuell (Fewell) the son of Philip and Ann Fuell who was baptised 21 Nov 1737 at Takeley Essex is the William Fewell who married my ancestor Margaret Twinn 3 May 1768 at Felsted.  If I can find the parish William and Hannah raised other children, perhaps naming patterns and establishing whether or not the 1744 William was married or buried in that particular parish, it might settle the doubt one way or the other.

Some years ago in the Fewell Family topic on The Essex board of RootsChat the son of the Rev. Mills (deceased) posted a reply on that topic, he informed us that his father had researched the Fewell family and posted the following info.

Robert Fewell married in April 1581 Suffolk.
Giles Fewell born abt 1581 Withersfield, Suffolk marr Elizabeth ?
Daniel Fewell born abt 1620 Thaxted.
Daniel Fewell born abt 1645 Thaxted.
John Fewell Fewell born abt 1678 married Elizabeth Green 1707 Dunmow, Essex
Philip married Ann Judd 26 Dec 1736 at Dunmow, parents of William 21 Nov 1737

It was inferred that Philip and Ann’s son William baptised 1737 is the husband of Margaret Twinn.

The son was going to get back to us when he had been able to access his father's computer at his mother's house but we never heard from him again and he didn't respond to messages.

I have managed, with help, to verify that the Rev Mills info is correct with the exception that Philip Fuell married Ann Judd at Takeley not Dunmow but not to 100% prove the link of their son William to Margaret Twinn. 
One thing perhaps in their favour is that Philip and Ann named a daughter Millicent, William Fewell and Margaret Twinn named a daughter Milly, unfortunately William and Hannah didn’t name children Margaret, Hannah, Ann or Philip, very uncooperative of them.

I would be extremely grateful to be able get a solution to this problem, it's been bugging me for years, I have gone the rounds of the sites I mentioned quite a number of times hoping that new info on them will be there but no luck.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline olleym

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 September 16 06:29 BST (UK) »
Good morning my Antipodean Friend

I hope this doesn't throw a spanner in the works; but are you aware of the following marriage?
Takeley
William Fewell and Elizabeth Green both OTP
A Philomen Fewell was a witness.

Mark
Olleys in Essex

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 September 16 07:42 BST (UK) »
Burial in Takely, July 25th 1803. Hannah Fewel of Jacks Green, no age given.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 September 16 01:21 BST (UK) »
Burial in Takely, July 25th 1803. Hannah Fewel of Jacks Green, no age given.

Hi Sue,
Somehow I missed that one, I'll make a note of it, I've just looked at it in the Takeley transcripts, unfortunately there seems to be nothing which could tie her into the William and Hannah Fewell or their children I'm looking for, still one day it might fit into the picture.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 September 16 01:40 BST (UK) »
On Google which should be considered an important site. You may/may not have seen it before.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 September 16 01:47 BST (UK) »
Good morning my Antipodean Friend

I hope this doesn't throw a spanner in the works; but are you aware of the following marriage?
Takeley
William Fewell and Elizabeth Green both OTP
A Philomen Fewell was a witness.

Mark

Hi Mark.
No it doesn't throw a spanner in the work, the spanner was already thrown there by me several years ago when I found the entry.  ::)  ;D

Another spanner is William Fewel baptised 27 Apr 1740 at Takeley the son of Thomas and Elizabeth.

My not mentioning either the marriage of William Fewell and Elizabeth Green or the William son of Thomas & Elizabeth was an attempt to avoid confusion by burdening my request with too much info.  My main aim was to track down William and Hannah's marriage and follow up hopefully with their children, perhaps in hindsight I should have included those pieces of info.

I do have a couple of baptisms not included in my original post, they are both children of William and Elizabeth (nee Green?) Fuell/Fewell and baptised at Takeley.
John 22 Jan 1769.
Elizabeth 21 Apr 1771.

My hope is that once I have William and Hannah's marriage and perhaps their other children I'll be able to look at the whole picture and perhaps come to a well informed decision.

However I am grateful to you Mark and Sue for your contributions, all info received with grateful thanks.

Regards. 

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 September 16 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry,
Thanks for your input.

I am the author of that topic on that site, however in spite of all that I'm still no closer to finding the marriage of William and Hannah, managed to prove quite a bit on my Fewell ancestors but nothing on William and Hannah.  ;D

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 September 16 11:42 BST (UK) »
to find the marriage of William Fewell to Hannah, the couple baptised a son William 5 Feb 1744 at Felsted Essex and after William’s baptism in 1744 the family seemingly vanish off the face of the earth, I didn’t find the marriage in the Felsted PRs.

Looking at that baptism, I think the surname looks more like Burls. There is a baptism of a John to William and Hannah Burls at Felsted 26 May 1745
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 September 16 05:53 BST (UK) »
Looking at that baptism, I think the surname looks more like Burls. There is a baptism of a John to William and Hannah Burls at Felsted 26 May 1745

I'll have to get an image of that William  5 Feb 1744 baptism Lizziel, when I found that 1744 baptism it was at the Essex Records Office on a UK trip and on microfiche, which in many cases wasn't as good a reproduction as the now digital ones. 

Crossing my fingers hoping that you are right and it is Burls and not Fuell/Fewell, that would be a great help, if it pans out OK it will be the best bit of news I've had in a while so thanks heaps. :)