Author Topic: Was he really dead or legally on that date?  (Read 20748 times)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Was he really dead or legally on that date?
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 24 September 16 03:21 BST (UK) »
I’ve written an email to the Australian War Memorial. See what sort of response comes back. Jamjar, thanks for the tip about Charles Bean.

Majm, no, sorry I don’t have a certificate. Unfortunately money doesn’t permit all I’d like - or, perhaps more honestly, fear of SWMBO restricts my spending.

Rena, welcome to the party!
He certainly did have a troubled life, right from the start. I mentioned some details earlier. Two additional things: on his admittance to reform school his character was described as “bad”, he had “bad companions” and he was “uncontrollable”, and he had a scar on one foot from a wagon running over him! And Donald and Effie appear to have had no children, which perhaps was also the result of his war injuries. Some of the symptoms described on his record suggest the possibility of him having been gassed, and apparently mustard gas can cause sexual dysfunction on top of everything else it did to people’s bodies. It’s no wonder he could have been suicidal.

Ros, thanks again for your kind offer of checking out those records. Yeah, you can rule out the Glen Innes Donald. But here’s a really weird coincidence for you. Forgive this off topic ramble, please: Our house, in Inverell - only 65 kays from Glen Innes - was built in 1903 by Duncan Alan McIntyre and Jesse Eglantine Jane McGregor - no relation (not in the last 400 years anyway). So the Glen Innes Donald Macintire Gower McGregor could be somehow related to the people who built our house!

See what happens next week. Thanks again, everyone. Have a good weekend.

Cheers, Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Monday 26 September 16 03:41 BST (UK) »

Just a quick note in the form of an apology in advance if I’m a bit slow in responding to any further posts from you great folks on this topic this week. My sister-in-law is turning 70 next weekend and at the main venue - our place - it's starting to build and there’s going to be a cast of thousands - well, to a wee wallflower it seems like it.
Cheers, Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 02:32 BST (UK) »
Received an email form letter from Australian War Memorial Research Centre:

"Our target response date is: 11/10/2016 11:00 AM"

Peter

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 02:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

If it wasn't an automated response, I'd say they will be putting in an effort for you which is encouraging.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
  Have pm'd link to Effie's divorce.  At a quick skim there were no issue of marriage and no-one had seen Donald since Inverell. 

The autopsy files are on ancestry who have created a searchable database and none found for Donald.  Ancestry have included image of microfilm of all NSW Inquests Index up to 1938?  Can search this to check - about 800 pages mostly in chronological order with clumps of names starting with same letter but also lots of exceptions - eg little clump 1929 Mc's after 1933  etc etc.
No I haven't  :)

cheers,
Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros,

When you mention Inverell, and last seen, is there a date actually mentioned? 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 01:07 BST (UK) »
Probably JM :)  Vaguely recall that he was arrested there.  I don't get time to read them properly - just skim and click - trying to get through as many as possible.

Still trying to organise and upload several other files.

I'll send you a link  :)

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 01:08 BST (UK) »

Ros, thanks again for your kind offer of checking out those records. Yeah, you can rule out the Glen Innes Donald. But here’s a really weird coincidence for you. Forgive this off topic ramble, please: Our house, in Inverell - only 65 kays from Glen Innes - was built in 1903 by Duncan Alan McIntyre and Jesse Eglantine Jane McGregor - no relation (not in the last 400 years anyway). So the Glen Innes Donald Macintire Gower McGregor could be somehow related to the people who built our house!

Cheers, Peter

Hi Ros,

When you mention Inverell, and last seen, is there a date actually mentioned? 

JM

Have just filtered the thread for "Inverell", but see only this mention quoted above from Peter.
What have I missed? :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 01:13 BST (UK) »
Reply #94 Sue.  :)