Author Topic: Chile Immigrant Research  (Read 1529 times)

Offline anto97

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chile Immigrant Research
« on: Thursday 22 September 16 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for a man named Dimitrios Psathas (maybe he changed his name in Chile), he was born in Milos, Greece in the late 19th Century and immigrated in Chile in the first half of the 20th century.

If you need any information, write me please.

Thanks in advance

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chile Immigrant Research
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 September 16 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi anto97,

The answers to the following question may help others to help you in your search:

Could you provide his actual year of birth, or at least the year he born in. Also, the year he immigrated, or at least a definitive block of time that he would have had to have travelled  within?

Could you provide the name of his father, and name and maiden name of his mother?

Would he have immigrated alone? A spouse? Children?

Do you know why he went to Chile? Work? Trade?

When is the last definite communication from or about him, that places him anywhere in the world?

Have you any evidence to suggest that he remained in Chile?

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline anto97

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 16 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi anto97,

The answers to the following question may help others to help you in your search:

Could you provide his actual year of birth, or at least the year he born in. Also, the year he immigrated, or at least a definitive block of time that he would have had to have travelled  within?

Could you provide the name of his father, and name and maiden name of his mother?

When is the last definite communication from or about him, that places him anywhere in the world?

Cheers
AMBLY

Thank you for your reply. As I know, his father name was Stylianos Psathas and Helen Kavalierou. He was born in Milos, Greece in the 1880's, I'm pretty sure that he left Greece in around 1900 - 1920. He immigrated alone (He died childless) Once, my grandfather met a guy that told him that Dimitris lost all his money there and travelled all around the South America. There is an obvious name changing, Dimitrios may became Jim or Juan or something Spanish and his surname Psathas may have changed too, I think Spanish people cannot say 'ps'  ;D

Offline anto97

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 September 16 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi anto97,

Cheers
AMBLY

Thank you for your reply. As I know, his father name was Stylianos Psathas and Helen Kavalierou. He was born in Milos, Greece in the 1880's, I'm pretty sure that he left Greece in around 1900 - 1920. He immigrated alone (He died childless) Once, my grandfather met a guy that told him that Dimitris lost all his money there and travelled all around the South America. There is an obvious name changing, Dimitrios may became Jim or Juan or something Spanish and his surname Psathas may have changed too, I think Spanish people cannot say 'ps'  ;D

I meant his parents name, sorry.

Offline titocanete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 August 17 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Anto,

A simple search led me to some Limpidis Psathas people in Antofagasta, northern Chile.

Perhaps they are linked to your Dimitris Psathas, who may have renamed Demetrio Psathas, or Sazas, or Saso (which is a common surname)

They descend from Andrés Psathas Rapariakis (or Rapanakis) and Ergina Psatha Rapanakis. They are certainly dead, as one of their children was born 1937. Perhaps Andrés /and/ Ergina are cousins. Whatever they are, these are the only Psathas people in Chile.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 September 17 05:24 BST (UK) »
There is this :

SS CAMPANIA, arrived Liverpool England on 23 Aug 1911, out of New York
Passenger: Dim: Psathas 29, Labourer,
Single/or unaccompanied by spouse.
Embarked New York. Contracted to land Liverpool.
Nationality: Greece
Holding through ticket to : Pireaus

A lot of nationalities on board, but this fellow (born abt 1882) was grouped together with 8 other Greek men of similar age, all embarked NY, all travelling through to Pireaus.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 September 17 11:01 BST (UK) »
Theres another sailing.
Dimitrios Psathas age 28 Departure Piraeus Greece  30 May 1912 to New York Single man
Ship Macedonia    Residence Leopellos Greece
Reference, Family Search, with images EllisIsland
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk