Author Topic: My Grandfather David Davies  (Read 5028 times)

Offline keithjd27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Grandfather David Davies
« on: Thursday 22 September 16 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Nice People, I'm sorry to bother you again but I am having serious problems trying to find out about my Grandfather and his family. I know he married my Grandmother in Hoxton, Hackney, London on the 30th January 1901 and on the certificate are 2 people as witnesses that I don't know anything about. On the 1901 census they lived at 33 Central Street, Clerkenwell , London running a Diary - He came from somewhere near Aberystwyth and is supposed to be buried in Aberffrwd having died in Aberystwyth in 1946. He, like his father, sometimes was known as Daniel. I think a great aunt of mine lived in a cottage by Rheidol Falls until in 1960's I think. I'm told great grandfather married twice - both times to a Mary. I spent 3 days in the NLW and came out more confused than when I went in. I don't seem to have a logical enough brain but with a little guidance I am hopeful I can learn. Sorry to have gone on so long and I appreciate any help can get . Thanks again Keith - p.s. I'm told my family made Downton Abbey look tame!
Davies, Hollis, Rogers, Looker, Elias,

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My Grandfather David Davies
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 September 16 21:53 BST (UK) »
So, i assume we're looking at david Davies, aged 23, of Herbert street who married Mary Elias, 22, of Cropley St (father Daniel, deceased). Witnesses are Albert Edward Rohrig and elizabeth davies

I'm wondering if this is connected?

The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard 28th April 1905
Maintenanoe.
John Davies, Cliff View, South Gate, Aberystwyth; Joseph Jones, 1 tailor, Llan-road, Abertridwr.  Glamorgan- shire; and David Davies, 156, St. John's-road, Hoxton, London, were summoned by Morgan Morgan, workhouse master, for neglecting to contribute to the maintenance of their parents who were chargeable to the Tregaron Union. The defendant. John Davies, appeared and the other defendants did not appear. An order of 1s. 6d. was made in the case of the defendants John Davies and David Davies. The Master asked for a substantial order in the case of Joseph Jones The parents received 6s a week out-relief. A medical certificate was received by letter stating that defendant was unable to work. An order for 2s. 6d. per week and costs was made.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 September 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
This is John Davies of South Gate, aberystwyth ni 1901

John Davies    28 - stone mason b Llangwyryfon
Cathrine Davies    32 - b Llanbadarn Trefeglwys,
Lotty Davies    5 - b Llanrhystyd
Elizabeth Davies    4 b Llanrhystyd

RG13, 5154, 65, 14

However this is all rather speculative and not easy to trace back - there was a lot of moving back and firth between Cardiganshire and London dairies in those days

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 September 16 00:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry,Mabel,but the only connection I can see,is, if Daniel was dead in 1901(marriage certificate),he probably wasn't being looked after in 1905!
On the serious side,I can only find two records that appear to match some of the data presented and that is the death of a David Davies in Cardiganshire Central,given 1878-1946.There is also a David Thomas Davies,1877-1946 in Cardiganshire North(where Aberystwyth would be registered)
Regards
Roger

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 September 16 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

You have not replied on your other thread about his father David/Daniel which may help with this lookup
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756269.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 September 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry if my previous post wasn't clear. it's Mary's father Daniel Elias who was deceased at the time of the 1901 marriage, not David Davies'  (also David)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 September 16 20:42 BST (UK) »
Apologies,Mabel,it was my faulty interpretation-too many Daniels.

Regards
Roger

Offline keithjd27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Nice People, I'm sorry to bother you again but I am having serious problems trying to find out about my Grandfather and his family. I know he married my Grandmother in Hoxton, Hackney, London on the 30th January 1901 and on the certificate are 2 people as witnesses that I don't know anything about. On the 1901 census they lived at 33 Central Street, Clerkenwell , London running a Diary - He came from somewhere near Aberystwyth and is supposed to be buried in Aberffrwd having died in Aberystwyth in 1946. He, like his father, sometimes was known as Daniel. I think a great aunt of mine lived in a cottage by Rheidol Falls until in 1960's I think. I'm told great grandfather married twice - both times to a Mary. I spent 3 days in the NLW and came out more confused than when I went in. I don't seem to have a logical enough brain but with a little guidance I am hopeful I can learn. Sorry to have gone on so long and I appreciate any help can get . Thanks again Keith - p.s. I'm told my family made Downton Abbey look tame!

Offline keithjd27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 October 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry for slow reply - Thank you all for your help - Its all so confusing! Thanks again