Author Topic: My Grandfather David Davies  (Read 5027 times)

Offline keithjd27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Grandfather David Davies
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 October 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Nice People, I'm sorry to bother you again but I am having serious problems trying to find out about my Grandfather and his family. I know he married my Grandmother in Hoxton, Hackney, London on the 30th January 1901 and on the certificate are 2 people as witnesses that I don't know anything about. On the 1901 census they lived at 33 Central Street, Clerkenwell , London running a Diary - He came from somewhere near Aberystwyth and is supposed to be buried in Aberffrwd having died in Aberystwyth in 1946. He, like his father, sometimes was known as Daniel. I think a great aunt of mine lived in a cottage by Rheidol Falls until in 1960's I think. I'm told great grandfather married twice - both times to a Mary. I spent 3 days in the NLW and came out more confused than when I went in. I don't seem to have a logical enough brain but with a little guidance I am hopeful I can learn. Sorry to have gone on so long and I appreciate any help can get . Thanks again Keith - p.s. I'm told my family made Downton Abbey look tame!
Sorry for slow reply - Thank you all for your help - Its all so confusing! Thanks again - Kind regards -Keith
Davies, Hollis, Rogers, Looker, Elias,

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 October 16 02:23 BST (UK) »
I see from the electoral rolls that the family lived at 43 Palace Road, Hackney from at least 1924 up until the start of WW2.  Wife Mary seems to stop appearing around 1931 so perhaps she died around then. 

David himself last appears there in 1935 - after that just 2/3 of his children until 1939.

You say that David Davies died in Aberystwyth in 1946 - have you got a copy of his death certificate?   Since he last appears at the long term family home in 1935 did he move back to Aberystwyth around this time (possibly after the death of his wife)?

I was just thinking that if you knew the address where he was living in 1939 (be it in Aberystwyth or perhaps elsewhere in Hackney) you could check this on the 1939 Register and establish his birth date.   With an exact birthdate you might then be able to trace his birth certificate.

From what I can see most of his children seemed to remain in the Hackney area.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keithjd27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 October 16 16:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry for slowness of reply. Thank you for your help . I think he was only in Aberystwyth for some kind of holiday - maybe he knew something, I don't know but I think he was staying with one of his sisters at the same time as my now late Aunt Elizabeth H Leett ( known  to me as Aunt Lil ) and my cousin, who was only young at the time and doesn't remember much.

Offline keithjd27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 October 16 16:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for all your help. I have never used a forum before and am having trouble answering your answers to say thank you so please accept my thanks for all of your help so far. I have a lot more questions but I think I should open new posts.

Offline keithjd27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Grandad update
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, Having spoken to my cousin it would appear I've been going after the wrong man . I bet I'm not the first , nor will I be the last. So, the new info I have is that Grandad died in Aberystwyth during the war. He was "laid out" at his sisters home which above a garage in Queens Road behind the Queens Hotel. I'm told he had 12 siblings - 6 from one wife Mary Jenkins and 6 from another wife Mary Stephen (born 1824) but I can find nothing conclusive. Also my great grandfather, Daniel was supposed to have had a smallholding and also worked as a Gamekeeper for the local land owner through him out after the 1868 general election for voting Liberal. This, I understand, was not uncommon and I wondered if there was a list somewhere that might answer a few questions above this. Thanks for all the help and happy hunting - Keith

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grandad update
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 November 16 21:21 GMT (UK) »
For info this is Keith's previous thread on his Grandfather

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756335.0

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 November 16 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

I have merged your topics together to keep the research in one place.

I see you mention you are having trouble replying to everyone and that you seem to be using the "quote" to do this.

Most people here use the "reply" button instead.

It makes the topic shorter and easier to read.

You don't have to thank people individually, saying thanks as you have just done on 20th October as you go along is appreciated just as much.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grandad update
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 March 18 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, Having spoken to my cousin it would appear I've been going after the wrong man . I bet I'm not the first , nor will I be the last. So, the new info I have is that Grandad died in Aberystwyth during the war. He was "laid out" at his sisters home which above a garage in Queens Road behind the Queens Hotel. I'm told he had 12 siblings - 6 from one wife Mary Jenkins and 6 from another wife Mary Stephen (born 1824) but I can find nothing conclusive. Also my great grandfather, Daniel was supposed to have had a smallholding and also worked as a Gamekeeper for the local land owner through him out after the 1868 general election for voting Liberal. This, I understand, was not uncommon and I wondered if there was a list somewhere that might answer a few questions above this. Thanks for all the help and happy hunting - Keith

Going on the "Other thread both Osprey and myself have made very possible replies" is this possible?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keithjd27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 June 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
Greetings all!
       I have more information about the scarlet pimpernel who was my Grandfather
     David (or Daniel) Davies. according to the 1939 census he lived with his new wife
     in Graham Road, Hackney, London. His birthdate was 30th November 1878 and he
      was born in the Cardiganshire area.
      Does anyone know how , using his date of birth I can find his birth records and therefore,
      get his birth certificate.
                   Thank you - Keith