Author Topic: Preece Family - Dilwyn UK mid 1700s early 1800s  (Read 3917 times)

Offline RobertPreece2016

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Preece Family - Dilwyn UK mid 1700s early 1800s
« on: Friday 23 September 16 05:41 BST (UK) »
I'm currently looking to establish the Ancestors of Evan Preece c1803 & Samuel Preece c1801, both christened in Dilwyn, UK.  Parents John & Mary Preece.
The descendants of Evan is quite comprehensive and fairly complete.
The descendants of Samuel I haven't much info other than wife, children and their Spouses so far.

I have done extensive searching of all possibly children in Herefordshire around Evan & Samuel ages born to John & Mary Preece as we know there is a brother named 'John', more than likely older, and believe there are 2 possibilities, one c1797 and one c1799.

I have also done extensive searching for possibilities of the parents John & Mary.  Previous consensus is the Mary is Mary Maddox married 1797, however with John being c1797 seems unlikely and the John c1799 has a sister Elizabeth c1796.
The two possible Mary's look to be Mary Palmer married 1792 or Mary Mayo married 1794.

I'm asking please if anyone has a family tree that incorporates any of the above people so I include or exclude them from my search, or any other info that would help sort out some of the possibilities

The searching I have done so far is through FamilySearch.org, MyHeritage, Ancestory.com & FindMyPast, which all seems to be similar in info.

Feel free to ask me for more information that may help. 
I'm only learning the culture and movements from back in that era so any info may help even if not exactly about the above people.

Robert Preece
Victoria, Australia

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Preece Family - Dilwyn UK mid 1700s early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 September 16 12:38 BST (UK) »
I am really struggling here, but on the basis of family names there is a family Evan and Mary Preece in Titley, not too far from Dilwyn,  christened a Samuel. Price in 1768 and a John preece in 1773.

Mike

Added, once again I have forgotten, so a warm welcome to rootschat from me.

Evan and Mary married as Price in 1855 so John in 1873 could be a son of another couple.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 September 16 13:13 BST (UK) »
With so little to go on, and a common name it might be helpful to supply the details if you have found Samuel and Evan in later censuses.

Mike

Offline RobertPreece2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 September 16 14:23 BST (UK) »
OK thanks for the reply Mike.
With Evan he was transported to Australia in 1824 and his time in England during the court trial and then Australia and his descendants are well documented in Australia. 

By the 1st Census in 1841 Samuel was already married and had his own family and he is traceable in following Census, 1851 & 1861 living not far away in Leominster, and I'm starting to piece together his descendants in an attempt it might lead into other trees, but I can't find any documents linking Samuel to his parents other than the christening in 1801 at Dilwyn.

At the time of the trial for Stealing Evan gave his location as Pembridge, so not far from Dilywn where he was christened, and with Samuel living in Leominster I'm assuming the parents stayed around that area.

The problem is the parents, John & Mary Preece, are in this time gap when there wasn't a Census till they would have been just the parents left at home, if they were even alive as they would have been late 60s to mid 70s by 1841, and as you say John Preece is a very, very common name, as is Mary Preece.

As for the younger John Preece, brother to Samuel & Evan, I'm assuming after he was convicted with Evan and went to jail for 6 Months he probably didn't go back to live with the parents and by the 1st Census was in his mid 40s.

I think as I indicated, my best hope I think is finding someone having done the Samuel Preece family tree.

I've narrowed down the possibilities of both John the son (out of a list of 51 born between 1790 & 1810), and both John & Mary Preece the parents (again from long list with John & a bit shorter list for Mary), through search records, but the rest is like picking a lottery, there is nothing I can see the ties any of them together.

I think I might have exhausted the searching by records, now it will be left to looking for some sort of connection in the names, or someone else's family knowledge.

Robert

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 October 16 15:10 BST (UK) »
You might consider having a look at Herefordshire wills - it is a bit of a long shot, but when you have exhausted all the usual suspects, then it might be worth a go!  You can search on a range of terms, but as an example, I have searched on Preece in Dilwyn and have two results:
https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/local-history-and-heritage/archives-collections/wills-index-search/?forename=&surname=Preece&parish=dilwyn&executornames=&from=&to=

Offline RobertPreece2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 October 16 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.  Long shot maybe, but I never knew such a register existed.  I'll have a look through it and see if any info comes to light.

Robert

Offline sandy.l

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 February 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,

I recently took the ancestry DNA test and it has led me to Dilwyn. I have quite a few Preeces in my DNA family tree, sometimes Preece, other times Price. I haven't got as far back as your dates in my tree yet as I'm focusing on another name in the tree but it would be interesting to see if we have any common ground there. My ancestry user name is Sandra_Lightfoot and the tree is called

1. Davies, Heppell, Shea/O'shea, Lightfoot, Stubbs - York, England

Sandra

Offline RobertPreece2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra.  How accurate do they give on those DNA tests as far as names, or is it just surnames?
I guess it would depend on how big their database of DNA sample goes??

Our family tree, is mostly Australian.  info from England around that time is scarce.

Robert

Offline sandy.l

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 February 17 10:39 GMT (UK) »
H Robert

The surname results are reliant on the members research being accurate. The DNA results give you a regional heritage result and a list of members who match your DNA. Any information regarding surnames is purely based on their member trees. I am careful to go over any information I take from other members and try and back it up with official records but others may not be so detailed.

I have managed to add around 6 of my "DNA cousins" to my tree using their research as a springboard. Others who have no details of parentage, through adoption for example, are proving difficult.

Sandra