Author Topic: Preece Family - Dilwyn UK mid 1700s early 1800s  (Read 3958 times)

Offline RobertPreece2016

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Preece Family - Dilwyn UK mid 1700s early 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 February 17 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra, that's interesting with the DNA.

Yes wise not to accept 'as is' in any trees.

I know I have done it before, put out some names etc into an online tree to see if I get any match come back, but I have read quite a few trees that I think people have been made up records, and other people have copied the same incorrect info into their trees, so that's annoying.

Hence my effort to try and correct this long held incorrect info that is recognised as correct only by the number of trees using it.

I'm a bit stuck and because the time period is some 40 years prior to Census records etc I can't confirm info so I'm now trying to knock out some of the possible names as belonging to other trees.  even that's hard, an example is I have a name of a christening and the same name of a death 12 months later, but can't confirm if it was a baby buried or a different adult or elderly person.  I suppose when they did these records they didn't expect us trying to do Family Trees 200 years later  ;D.

Robert

Offline 77Robbie12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 August 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert--and Sandra,     I have  not used the site recently and am just checking through different names.   I have a Preece/Price in my family.  John Preece, baptised to Elizabeth Preece, 1773 at Pencombe Herefordshire.   From his death Certificate--Little Marcle, 87 yrs old--he was born 1770---Census' also give him as b Pencombe.  I have absolutely no knowledge of Elizabeth Preece.
  John married as Price--to Mary King 1808 Little Marcle.  A strange happening with  daughter Mary--b and bapt 1814 as Mary Price--then in 1819 baptised again as Mary Preece!  Definitely same Mary---and she married as Mary Price!  No wonder we all get confused at times! 
Robert--you listed a lot of Sources you have checked,--but there is one you haven't mentioned, which may well help.

Preece Family History and One Name Study.  Run by Ian Preece, who is very helpful--though couldn't help me with Elizabeth.

http://www.preecefamilyhistory.co.uk/

best of luck!

Robbie

Offline sandy.l

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 August 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Robbie!
Thank you for the link! I've saved it to my favourites to look another day!
My Preeces do not go that far back at the moment so I'm unable to help with Elizabeth at the moment unfortunately!

Kind regards
Sandra

Offline 77Robbie12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra--thanks.
There is one possible regarding my Elizabeth Preece--though tenuous -- An Elizabeth Preece married one Samuel Berry 1787 at Bodenham, not very far from Pencombe. Could be same Lizzie.
Strangely--my familiy is also full of Berry/Bury's--Samuel could be another Berry relative--oi oi oi!
Robbie