Author Topic: Easiest way to double check Census Info listed on Find My Past  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Easiest way to double check Census Info listed on Find My Past
« on: Friday 23 September 16 16:40 BST (UK) »
Cant get onto Scotlands People today  :-X  Looking at an 1851 Census for Dunmaglass, Daviot, Nairn, Scotland for the Shaw Family (Head being William Shaw, Married, Shepherd, birth year 1777 Inverness-shire).  My question is, is it actually FindMyPast that transcribes the originals??  Wondering if there has been a mistake somewhere along the line, as everything ties in for the Family apart from the wife and the daughters names;  FindMyPast says Elizabeth (for both) and I suspect it should be Isabel/Isabella (for both) - any other way of double checking this when SP is out of action??  Thanks folks.  Shall try and copy & paste the link to the record, but it may not work...
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbc%2f1851%2f0020456268
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Easiest way to double check Census Info listed on Find.M.Past??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 September 16 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

You could try Family search. 

Gadget

Link added  - https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2028673
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 September 16 16:56 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has the same names for that entry as FindMyPast. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 September 16 16:56 BST (UK) »
Both Ancestry and Freecen have them both down as Elizabeth as well.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 September 16 16:57 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 September 16 17:01 BST (UK) »
As I understand it, Isabella and Elizabeth were often used interchangeably by the owners of the name.
Elizabeth was the modern/English name; Isabella was the older form/traditional name.  Maybe they wanted to be trendier.

Depending on how you were asked you might give a different answer. 

"What is your name?": Elizabeth. *writes that down*
"What is your name?": Elizabeth. "Is that the name you were christened with in church?": Well ... no, we put Isabella then, but now we use Elizabeth ... been using it for years now, we prefer it. *Writes Isabella*

And/or maybe even an enumerator had old-fashioned/out-dated views and an "I know best" attitude and might even change Elizabeths for Isabellas because they felt superior in knowledge to the person saying their name.

All enumerators were still laden with their own opinions, prejudices, insistencies and "little ways".
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 September 16 18:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that folks;  looks like I will have to bide my time till SP opens again just to satisfy my own mind;  The Father & two sons Occupations & DOB match, its just the Elizabeth/Isabella question?  Tending to agree with you 'StanleysC'.... have had previous documents for 'Christian' being written as Christy/Christina & Maggie no less!  ::)   It may of course be an explanation as to why I havent been able to find his wifes death recorded, as I have been looking for Isabella Shaw/Cameron (as seen on one document) - I should perhaps be looking for Elizabeth Shaw/Cameron .... roll on Monday when SP opens its online doors again  :D

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 September 16 18:16 BST (UK) »
As I understand it, Isabella and Elizabeth were often used interchangeably by the owners of the name.
Elizabeth was the modern/English name; Isabella was the older form/traditional name.  Maybe they wanted to be trendier.

Depending on how you were asked you might give a different answer. 

"What is your name?": Elizabeth. *writes that down*
"What is your name?": Elizabeth. "Is that the name you were christened with in church?": Well ... no, we put Isabella then, but now we use Elizabeth ... been using it for years now, we prefer it. *Writes Isabella*

And/or maybe even an enumerator had old-fashioned/out-dated views and an "I know best" attitude and might even change Elizabeths for Isabellas because they felt superior in knowledge to the person saying their name.

All enumerators were still laden with their own opinions, prejudices, insistencies and "little ways".

I think you are actually spot on StanleysC..... from 'whatsinaname' website...  'quote' ..

Note:  Due to the derivation, it has been a long tradition in Scotland for Elizabeth and Isabel [and their variants, pet names, etc] to be used interchangeably, i.e. as synonyms. This can be confusing when searching through older records and care should be taken to consider this possibility when researching.

'unquote'  :)