Author Topic: I Aberdare you to find this lady!  (Read 2267 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I Aberdare you to find this lady!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 September 16 09:06 BST (UK) »
That looks to be the companion data to the 1891,but is it the correct Eleanor,as James Jenkins born 1844 is her husband in 1871(RG10/5408/36/25),whereas here he's Thomas born 1837,and I don't think the son Thomas in the 1881 matches either(he should be a James as well)? Hmm...

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 September 16 09:20 BST (UK) »
Having looked at the original of the 1881,it seem to say Thomas J for the son,and there is a registration of James Thomas Jenkins in 1867,Merthyr district.So,possibly half an explanation....

Regards
Roger

Offline student325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 January 17 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Well Ein Heifer.  I didn't expect to see this missing lady at all, but Rootschatters have found her in both 1881 and 1891.  Thanks all for looking and for reading my writing (not that bad, but could be improved and certainly not easy to type up a tree!?).

1881 - thanks to Keyboard86; living Trealaw, Ystradyfodwg (now the Rhondda)
1891 - thanks to Roger; living Ynyscynon Street, Aberdare

The boy James Thomas Jenkins (1867) later conducted a choir at the head of the valleys, and it makes sense for him to be listed as Thomas J. Jenkins, I see.  He has one grandson still living in Wales.  The enumerator obviously got himself tied in a knot over the father, who in my view was definitely still James Jenkins (38 not '34') and not a fourth partner.

I will append a (typed) summary of everything that has been found over the next few weeks.
SOM: CREED, HAINE, MURROW, BOND, PORTCH
CRN: SHUGG, BOWDEN, PEARCE, TREWHELLA, HARRIS, HUNTER, RODDA, LOWRY, MARSHALL, BURN, STEPHENS
GLA/CARM: MORTON, MORGAN, EVANS (CADOXTON)
MON: EVANS (BASSALEG)
PEM: FRANCIS, PHILLIPS
DBY: CARLINE, FOX, BAGSHAW, ROBINSON
NBL: GIBSON, DODD, CHARLTON, HEPPELL
CUM: DODD, MOSES
WES: AIREY, BARNETT, MELLRAY, HOLME
NFK: SMITH, FLOWERS, LAIN, MANSER, LANE
IRE: WALSH, CLEARY, DAWSON, CARROLL
.... Yes I am a mongrel!

Offline student325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 January 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
In fact, Ellen Jenkins shows up in 1911 aged 73 and still alive, with 3 children living out of 12 born (known children are Gwenllian now Howells and James Thomas Jenkins).  The identity of the third living child is not yet ascertained (likely to be Mary Jenkins born 1880/1 Trealaw).
CRN: SHUGG, BOWDEN, PEARCE, TREWHELLA, HARRIS, HUNTER, RODDA, LOWRY, MARSHALL, BURN, STEPHENS
.... Yes I am a mongrel!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 January 17 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi a couple of things,  the James Thomas Jenkins did indeed have a mmn Thomas,  what happened to the Mary Monk b 1860/1?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline student325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 January 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Eleanor's marriage arrangements cause problems.
marries (1) George Monk and has daughter Mary Monk; no further trace of either of them!  Eleanor having another daughter Mary 20+ years later is no guarantee that the original Mary died.
marries (2) John Thomas (but this seems not to have been an official union).  Evidence on Eleanor's marriage to James Jenkins she is stated as Eleanor Thomas (widow) this may be as she had gone back to maiden name after Monk left, or because she had had relationship with John Thomas.  John Thomas is stated as father of her child by this union (Gwenllian Thomas) at Gwenllian's marriage, though he appears to witness the marriage! (so didn't die)
marries (3) James Jenkins and lives under this name until her death.  Several more children including: James Thomas Jenkins (named after her father James Thomas), Elizabeth (presumably dies by 1881) and Mary (born about 1880) plus possibly another 7 others who died (Eleanor had 12 children born in total).

Youngest child Mary Jenkins has now been sorted thanks to you finding the 1881 census.  She marries 1898 to Richard Williams and has 3 children surviving (out of 7) by 1911, the last of whom dies in 1996.

As for Eleanor herself, she is still going strong in 1911 it seems, with 3 children living out of the 12 she had had by various partners along the way...
.... Yes I am a mongrel!

Offline student325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 January 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »
... It turns out the family of Eleanor's children James jr and Mary, are in touch with each other.
.... Yes I am a mongrel!