Author Topic: Does Anyone Recognise This Hotel?  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Does Anyone Recognise This Hotel?
« on: Saturday 24 September 16 10:49 BST (UK) »
I have acquired an album from my late Uncle and would be very grateful if anyone could recognises or suggest which hotel or building this is please. It would appear that most of the photos were taken in the 1940s/50s.

Thanks for looking.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does Anyone Recognise This Hotel?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 September 16 10:56 BST (UK) »
That's very distinctive isn't it Carol.

Did your Uncle travel at all do you know? It doesn't look English to me, and some of the vegetation looks "warm climate".  :) (but I may be wrong)  ;D This makes me wonder if the sloping lawns look to the sea as there are chairs placed to possibly admire a view.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 16 11:02 BST (UK) »
Please allow me to start the discussion rolling  with Bournemouth or Torquay
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 September 16 11:07 BST (UK) »
That's very distinctive isn't it Carol.

Did your Uncle travel at all do you know? It doesn't look English to me, and some of the vegetation looks "warm climate".  :) (but I may be wrong)  ;D This makes me wonder if the sloping lawns look to the sea as there are chairs placed to possibly admire a view.

Hi Ruskie...I am aware of him being in Egypt, France and Rome during WW2 and he regularly visited Scotland where my Aunt's family lived...He lived in London.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 September 16 11:09 BST (UK) »
Please allow me to start the discussion rolling  with Bournemouth or Torquay

I see where you are coming from with the palm trees but I agree with Ruskie that it wasn't taken in the UK...that was my impression but I could be wrong.
Carol

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 September 16 11:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, Agatha Christieish and warmer climate came to mind.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 September 16 11:23 BST (UK) »
Aw yes..."Murder on the Verandah"  ;D ;D ;D

Carol

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 September 16 11:26 BST (UK) »
A popular place for Allied Forces to have Recreation at during WW2  was the El Gezira Sporting Club near Cairo, I believe.   It was a big Park,   with lots of facilities.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 September 16 11:30 BST (UK) »
Curious about what is at the bottom of the second photo, sunk into the ground, enclosed with rope / chain, it looks as if it would form a circle if continued beyond the edges of the photo, chairs set out to view, the ground slatted or otherwise designed with parallel strips...  Is it for some sort of activity like rollerskating or dancing?