Author Topic: Mauritius, death and burial records  (Read 5064 times)

Offline catmint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mauritius, death and burial records
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 September 16 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking on my behalf. That link you showed for Mauritius BMD is amazing, with so many names I felt sure something would pop up there.  Trying to think what other scenarios would be appropriate.  I think it most unlikely that Rose Snr left the island  taking baby Anne with her and leaving  two older daughters - but who knows.  I do know that when William re-marries he describes himself as a widower.  Though I suppose he could say that even if his first 'wife' was alive, if he felt sure she would not return to England.
In 1861 Rose Jnr was living with her aunt and uncle.  She always used their name. They regarded her as their adopted daughter.  My family have a couple of samplers she made at this time on which she has embroidered Rose Desmond.  I guess when she was planning to marry she told her father. On the occasion of her marriage she would have been asked the name and occupation of her father so I suppose that is why she is registered as Rose Desmond Bennyworth.  I doubt if William was at the wedding. Rose's aunt, Mary Ann Desmond was a witness.  Only once more does Rose use her Bennyworth name and that is when her first child is born.  If it were not for these certificates I would have had no idea of the identity of her birth father.
It has been gratifying to be able to trace the Bennyworths back in time in Lincolnshire but I think Rose's birth mother is destined to remain a mystery for ever.
Jefferys- Wiltshire & Jersey.  O Gorman- Birr Offaly & Liverpool, Olsen Hafstad - Norway & Liverpool, Wall- Wicklow, Smith- Dublin