Author Topic: What Burial records are available for Whitburn pre 1855  (Read 1758 times)

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What Burial records are available for Whitburn pre 1855
« on: Sunday 25 September 16 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking at ordering in some of the films regarding Whitburn to try and locate a burial record of a couple of ancestors that died pre 1855. The films are giving me an indication that Burial money only goes up to 1830. Can anyone who has ordered in the following film No's from the LDS confirm this please. Film 1066639 & 40.  Also are there any more burial records on the later films done. I have found other records for the Roxburghshire on these later films and wondered if anyone had viewed them as well. No 102997-8.
I am looking for burials between 1851 - 1855 - Not on Scotlandspeople site.
These are also Not in the West Lothian MI pre 1855 Booklet Vol 2 done by Angus and Alison Mitchell. They were poor, and husbands were coal miners and one was already deceased.
Many thanks regarding help in this area. Ailsa

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: What Burial records are available for Whitburn pre 1855
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 16 11:01 BST (UK) »
The LDS films are of the parish registers held by Scotland's People. If your folk are not on SP, and not in the pre-1855 MI book, then there may not be any record of their burials.

When the SP web site comes back online, there is a 'List of Old Parish Records' that gives the dates when burial records exist.

There is a possibility, however, that there might be something in the Kirk Session records. To see what Kirk Session records are extant, go to http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx and search using reference starting CH2/370.

The KS records are held by the National Records of Scotland. They have been digitised, but are not yet available online. It is reported that SP is going to make them available online in 2017. Unilt then you either have to go in person, or get someon to go on your behalf, to General Register House in Edinburgh or to one of the local archives which have access to them (Aberdeen, Glasgow, Inverness, Hawick and possibly others).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 16 11:11 BST (UK) »
Ailsa,  when you hopefully get back a bit,  Whitburn was part of Livingston parish pre about 1730.

Skoosh.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 September 16 11:34 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately there are no full records for either Livingston Parish or Whitburn (although the death records for Livingston are better from 1718 to 1819) and neither Parish appears to have records after 1833.

The Kirk Session records as suggested by Forfarian may be your best bet

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 September 16 11:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Falkyrn, that is exactly the document I had in mind.

So, ailsac, the answer to your question is that there is no point in ordering in the films of the Whitburn Parish Registers (1066639 and 40) if you are looking for burials in 1851-1855.

Not sure what of the relevance of Roxburghshire. Whitburn is not in that county so any records for Roxburghshire will not contain burials in Whitburn.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 September 16 12:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to both Forfarian and Falkyrn. I will try and see if the Kirk Session records exist for the area, might be my last hope of finding info regarding the burials I am looking for.
Sorry if I mislead about the Roxburghshire films - was just using the second filming done by LDS in 1952 as an example. I have lots of research in that area as well and the LDS advised to order in the second lot of filming if you do not find an entry on the first films, and YES I have found plenty that have not been digitized as of yet. They told me these films are not indexed, so again you will not find the entries on Familysearch nor on Scotlandspeople, so I have found it has paid off to order in the second lot of films and obtained entries not seen before. Hence was my question about anyone having ordered these second lot of films in to see if anything extra on them. But think I will head for the Kirk Sessions - Scotlandspeople have been saying about putting them up for years, but one day I hope they go on line, as I live in Australia so not easy for me to look at them or get someone to do the research for me from here. Thanks for the replies, appreciated. Ailsa

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 September 16 12:30 BST (UK) »
They told me these films are not indexed, so again you will not find the entries on Familysearch nor on Scotlandspeople, so I have found it has paid off to order in the second lot of films and obtained entries not seen before.

If by 'second lot of films' you mean parish registers later than 1855, this is a whole new ball game.

The existing Church of Scotland parish registers (to 1854) were collected by the Registrar General after the start of statutory civil registration in 1855. These are the basis of the information on SP. They were indexed by the LDS as part of the International Geneaolgical Index, which is why the indexes are available at FamilySearch.

Later parish registers are still held by the local churches or sometimes by local archives, and they are not on SP. The same applies to registers of churches other than the Church of Scotland and Roman Catholic Church. Some of the later registers, and other denominations' registers, are now being indexed on FamilySearch, but in the case of other registers in the care of the National Records of Scotland the churches (who still own them) have refused to allow them to be indexed on SP. So it's a very complicated picture!

Note that FamilySearch does not have any actual records online. It has indexes to the records, which can only be viewed online at SP or offline in the form of microfilms. The indexing was not comprehensive; for example the LDS entirely omitted to index the Duffus parish register from 1820 to 1854, although the microfilm is available. SP are aware of these shortcomings and intend to remedy the omissions, but I do not know whether all these gaps have now been dealt with.

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 September 16 12:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry what I mean is the Second Lot of Filming that was done of the OPR's by the LDS in 1952. It is these lot of Films that have not been indexed nor on Scotlandspeople. This is where you can find missing entries, like I have found previously on the Roxburghshire films I have looked at.
When you search the LDS catalogue it will usually give you something like the following. Even though it says to order in the first filming first, it is not a hassle to get the second filming in to view

Hope the attachment comes through ok.

Would be wonderful if SP & all the parishes that still hold records could get together to get these digitized, but we will see maybe one day.
I have sent in many many copies of entries missed on the digitization or filming to SP over the years and have yet to see one of them come up. They keep telling me on the next upgrade it will be done, still not there, But at least I do have the copies from the OPR Films I have ordered in to view.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 September 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
Well how interesting ailsac.  :)
I have been following this thread, as one of my huge holes has been a couple of families from Whitburn.
With no baptisms or burials for them on SP pre 1800, I had always thought there was no chance of finding them.
I even paid a researcher look at Sasines, (which was interesting in itself).

From what you say, it would pay me to get this 'another filming' in an LDS library.
Thanks for the lead.

By the way, have you looked for your people on Scotlandsplaces? I DID manage to find several of my families on there - they were in the Cart Tax, and Farm Horse Tax lists. Scotlandsplaces website seems to be saying it will be 'free' from Oct 4th - but you have always been able to search the Cart and Farm Horse Taxes for free anyway  - there are other taxes you used to need a subscription for.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs