Author Topic: Lillian Jones, b 1943 d 1964 Liverpool, Lancashire  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Joan Benson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lillian Jones, b 1943 d 1964 Liverpool, Lancashire
« on: Sunday 25 September 16 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have hit a real brick wall with a member of my family and hope someone can help.
My aunt, Lillian, also known as Lily, Jones was born in 1943 to parents Richard Jones (b 29 Mar 1902, d unknown but possibly between 1943 and 1948) and Louisa May nee Worthington (b 14 May 1920 d 1943). At the time of the 1939 register, the family were living in Liverpool. There are two other children, Irene May Birmingham nee Jones (b 25 Apr 1938 d 12 Aug 1996) and Margaret Jones (b 1939 d 1941).

I have a vague hint that Lillian's husband may have been named Robert and she possibly had a child Sandra but that's it, I just can't find anything else relating to her birth, death or marriage.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Coan
Jones
Worthington
O'Hare
Thornburn
Dowling
Stock
Gray

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Lillian Jones, b 1943 d 1964 Liverpool, Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 16 20:41 BST (UK) »
Greetings, Joan, and a warm welcome to Rootschat

I had a look on FreeBMD to find any deaths in Lancashire for a Lily/Lilian/Lillian of the right age and found only two between 18 and 25.  One of them could be your aunt:
Dec qtr 1964 Lilian E REEVES age 21, Liverpool S vol 10D p461

There was a marriage: Mar qtr 1960 Lilian E JONES to William REEVES, Liverpool S vol 10d p1131

FreeBMD also has three baptisms in Liverpool South for children named Reeves with the mother's maiden name Jones.  It is the policy of Rootschat not to post the names of people who may be livinng, so I cannot list their names, but one will definitely be of interest!

You would need to get the marriage certificate (or find a church register) to see if Lilian E Jones was the daughter of Richard, but this looks promising.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joan Benson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 16 07:59 BST (UK) »
Greetings, Joan, and a warm welcome to Rootschat

I had a look on FreeBMD to find any deaths in Lancashire for a Lily/Lilian/Lillian of the right age and found only two between 18 and 25.  One of them could be your aunt:
Dec qtr 1964 Lilian E REEVES age 21, Liverpool S vol 10D p461

There was a marriage: Mar qtr 1960 Lilian E JONES to William REEVES, Liverpool S vol 10d p1131

FreeBMD also has three baptisms in Liverpool South for children named Reeves with the mother's maiden name Jones.  It is the policy of Rootschat not to post the names of people who may be livinng, so I cannot list their names, but one will definitely be of interest!

You would need to get the marriage certificate (or find a church register) to see if Lilian E Jones was the daughter of Richard, but this looks promising.

All the best
Philip

Hello Philip

Thank you so much for your help. I'm not sure yet if this is my Lilian but will be paying a visit to the records office to find the certificates and will let you know when I have some answers.

Very best wishes
Joan
Coan
Jones
Worthington
O'Hare
Thornburn
Dowling
Stock
Gray

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 16 08:12 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure yet if this is my Lilian but will be paying a visit to the records office to find the certificates and will let you know when I have some answers.

Very best wishes
Joan

You won't find certificates at the Record Office, but you will find Parish Registers.

Certificates have to ordered through the Register Office. Note that you cannot look at certificated before you purchase them! ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Joan Benson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 16 08:57 BST (UK) »

You won't find certificates at the Record Office, but you will find Parish Registers.

Certificates have to ordered through the Register Office. Note that you cannot look at certificated before you purchase them! ::)

Sorry I used the wrong term, I meant view and copy the register. I'm a newbie, forgive me    :)
Coan
Jones
Worthington
O'Hare
Thornburn
Dowling
Stock
Gray

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 September 16 10:27 BST (UK) »
In order to visit the Record Office to view the church register by appointment if they have it we need to first find out what was the church. Nothing is coming up on Lancs BMD the site doesn't have complete records and more recent records are less likely to appear.

You may need to order the certificate from the GRO without index details putting in Lilian's name and her father's name so you only get the certificate sent to you if the father is called Richard Jones.

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 September 16 10:39 BST (UK) »
What part of Liverpool were they from? If you are familiar with the local churches you could give it a try at the Record Office. Message them and ask if you can view 1960 registers for say three local churches. If they married at the register office then you would only be able to view the record by getting the certificate.

https://liverpool.gov.uk/contact-us/service-area/liverpool-record-office/

Blue

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 September 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
Joan,  what was their address in 1939 please?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Joan Benson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 September 16 11:25 BST (UK) »
What part of Liverpool were they from? If you are familiar with the local churches you could give it a try at the Record Office. Message them and ask if you can view 1960 registers for say three local churches. If they married at the register office then you would only be able to view the record by getting the certificate.

https://liverpool.gov.uk/contact-us/service-area/liverpool-record-office/

Blue

Thanks very much Blue. I'm guessing at this from the 1939 register when the family were in Wavertree but that's 4 years before Lilian/Lillian/Lily was born.

I have the free BMD reference but I've checked the Lancashire BMD and the marriage is not recorded there, so can't get any further details on the location. I think I'm just going to have to order the marriage certificate and hope it's the right one.

Best wishes
Joan
Coan
Jones
Worthington
O'Hare
Thornburn
Dowling
Stock
Gray