Author Topic: Alfred CLAPHAM 1820-??  (Read 994 times)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Alfred CLAPHAM 1820-??
« on: Monday 26 September 16 07:45 BST (UK) »
Am doing a one name study of the various CLAPHAM families in NZ and have found another one that I am trying to find the origins of.

Alfred CLAPHAM was I believe baptised at St Leonards Shoreditch on 15 Dec 1820, the son of Charles and Ann (nee POWELL). The baptism register gives a birthdate of 3 Nov 1820.

This I also believe to be the Alfred CLAPHAM that married Ann YATEMAN at St Mary's Lambeth on 31 March 1856. They went on to have three children, Annie Maria 1857, Kate 1859 and Alfred 1861. These look to be the CLAPHAM children baptised at Kennington, Surrey in 1869-70.

When Alfred married the cert says he was a widower. Have not found a first marriage for him that fits. Was he the Alfred in 1851 in St Mary Lambeth with a son Albert and with his sister Susanna. Did he die between 1861 and 1871, again can't find a suitable death. Ann is a widow with the three children in 1871.

Alfred jnr joins the Royal Artillery and is married in Sheffield in 1880 to Annie TOPHAM. They have a number of children in the north, and leave for New Zealand in 1912. Annie Marie marries John MARTIN in London in 1899 and they also come to NZ about 1912, as did the sister Kate, who never marries. All three are buried in the same cemetery in Christchurch in NZ.

Can anyone help in finding Alfred's first marriage, and anything about him and what happened to both wives. There are some trees on Ancestry all with different info. Some of them have a brother to Alfred snr with the name Joseph born 1828, but have linked him to a Joseph Charles CLAPHAM who died in NZ in 1902. This Joseph Charles has nothing to do with Alfred, as he is part of my own CLAPHAM line. The only connection between the two families is that they were both in the Shoreditch area. Hence am being a bit skeptical about the Ancestry trees.

Thanks.
Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred CLAPHAM 1820-??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 September 16 11:22 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out the Sep 1865 death Newington?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
When Alfred married the cert says he was a widower. Have not found a first marriage for him that fits. Was he the Alfred in 1851 in St Mary Lambeth with a son Albert and with his sister Susanna.

How old was son Albert in 1851?

There is a marriage in Mar 1849 Edmonton *
Alfred Clapham
Elizabeth King

* no forget that one, different father and I see son Albert was older in 1851
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 16 12:30 BST (UK) »
Possibility for Susannah

3 Spencer St Shoreditch
Charles Clapham 45 Carpenter no
Ann 46 no
Joseph 12 Yes
Susannah 10 Yes
Henry 7 yes
HO107 706 4 7 11 15

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
This I also believe to be the Alfred CLAPHAM that married Ann YATEMAN at St Mary's Lambeth on

There are some trees on Ancestry all with different info. Some of them have a brother to Alfred snr with the name Joseph born 1828, but have linked him to a Joseph Charles CLAPHAM who died in NZ in 1902. This Joseph Charles has nothing to do with Alfred, as he is part of my own CLAPHAM line. The only connection between the two families is that they were both in the Shoreditch area. Hence am being a bit skeptical about the Ancestry trees.

Thanks.
Ian C

there are these baptisms
Pell St London Mulberry Gardens Chapel
all baptised by Robt Stodhart

all to parents Charles & Ann Clapham
Joseph Clapham born 1 Apr 1828 baptised 26 Oct 1828
Ann Clapham born 3 Apr 1825 baptised 11 Jun 1826
there is this burial
Henry Clapham age 11 address Spencer St
buried 10 Nov 1844 St leonards Shoreditch

Maybe related to Alfred??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 September 16 13:16 BST (UK) »
There seem to be banns for Alfred CLAPHAM and Sarah FLIP 24 Oct 1847 at St Marys Lambeth but I don't see an actual marriage.

A Sarah CLAPHAM dies Lambeth 1849 (born 1814) . Hard to tell if she's the same person,though.

Maureen

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 September 16 13:21 BST (UK) »
I can't find son Albert's baptism ? That would give a clue as to wife

Suz

Online Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 September 16 13:22 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in Lambeth on 24/10/1847 of Alfred Clapham and Sarah Flip (both single).   Unfortunately, only handwritten entry comes up (not marriage certificate) so no idea who his father was.

There is a birth entry for a Sarah Clapham in Mar.qtr.1848 Lambeth and a burial at St. Mary, Lambeth on 15/12/1850 for a Sarah Clapham bc.1847.

There is also a burial for a Sarah Clapham bc.1814 bur.17/9/1849 St. Mary Lambeth - were these 2 Sarah's mother and daughter, and were they Alfred's first wife and child?   

I concur with Millipede in that the Alfred Clapham death in Sept.1865 Newington is probably him as they were living in that area in 1861 - son Alfred born Camberwell.

I purposely haven't looked at the online trees so don't know how this information fits in (if indeed it does).

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 September 16 13:34 BST (UK) »
Aha! There's a baptism for Albert Edwin FLIPP 9 Jul 1843  Chelsea St Luke son of John and Sarah FLIPP.

Maureen