Author Topic: Will Decipherment Needed Bridgate & Hamilton  (Read 1136 times)

Offline amberdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will Decipherment Needed Bridgate & Hamilton
« on: Monday 26 September 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
The father of my gx3 grandmother left the attached property in his Will 1833.  I think I've figured out what area the slaughter house was in.  Here's my very feeble attempt at interpreting it. I've seen his firms name William Allan & Son hamcurers listed at candleriggs in the old post office directories.

"Firstly All and Whole the east most shop and dwelling house above the same of the front tenement (after tenement) after described as lately p? by myself and presently p? by James Ralph with the open area (formerly a dung hill) immediately behind the said shop and the three story brick building (erected by me on the site of what was formerly a stable) adjoining thereto likewise p? by the said James Ralph which subjects are parts and portions of the lands sometime belonging to the deceased Andrew McKie Dyer thereafter to the deceased Richard McKie thereafter to Andrew Dalmahoy and thereafter to Robert Alexander and which are described in the original Titles thereof All& Whole high & ? back & fore with close and pertinents? Lying within the Burgh of Glasgow on the South side of the Bridgegate bounded between the lands of Colin Campbell (now of Robert Clark & others) on the east of the common vennel? on the west  the River Clyde now the public slaughter house on the south and the Bridgegate Street on the north parts.

Secondly All and Whole that piece of ground consisting four falls? or thereby and buildings  thereon bounded the said piece of ground on the north by the church and belonging to Burgher Congregation in Hamilton on the south side by the property of David Torrance on the west by the property of David Torrance Main Street leading past the parish Church of Hamilton to the Leechlee? and on the east by that part still belonging to William Adam and his wife of the piece of ground now disponed which piece of ground above disponed is a portion of All & Whole these thirteen falls?and two tenths of a fall of ground or thereby as presently described in my title thereto p? by my author William Adam Weaver in Hamilton with Consent of Catherine Riddle his wife and his tenants fued? but by the heirs of John Campbell Saffranhill? to John Martin Weaver in Hamilton conform to and as described in the full Charter dated the 14th day of September 1796 and acquired by me from the said William Adam with consent foresaid by Disposition dated 30th March 1826 all lying within the town and parish of Hamilton and shire of Lanark.  Together will all right title and interest which I have or can claim to the several subjects above conveyed with the rents and mails and duties of the same which may be due at my death and to become due in all time coming thereafter and the writs titles and securities thereof and all action and execution competent for recovery of said rents and for exhibition implement and delivery of said writs.  But these presents are granted in Trust for the ends uses and purposes after specified viz".

I told you it was a feeble attempt!!

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will Decipherment Needed Bridgate & Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 September 16 10:57 BST (UK) »
after described as lately p? by myself and

Possessed I would say for the first three p?'s
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 16 11:01 BST (UK) »
All& Whole high & ?

I don't see high I see "these lands" if I'm looking in the right place
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 16 11:05 BST (UK) »
Fall = 6 ells square = a perch.
Vennel = a lane.
Feued = land let.

Skoosh.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 16 12:06 BST (UK) »
“Titles thereof All & Whole [ ] high & ? ” [typo - missing words]
Titles thereof All & Whole [these lands] high & laigh (laigh = low)

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 September 16 12:09 BST (UK) »
Saffranhill/Saffranhall in Hamilton is where the Swimming pool is today

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 September 16 14:35 BST (UK) »
Sancti,  is that the same as Silvertonhill?

Skoosh.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 September 16 14:47 BST (UK) »
Different place Skoosh

Silvertonhill is near Eddlewood/Cadzow area

Saffronhall is near Almada Street

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate