Author Topic: Is my George Hood from Monymusk Aberdeenshire or Rhynd Perthshire please?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Is my George Hood from Monymusk Aberdeenshire or Rhynd Perthshire please?
« on: Monday 26 September 16 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been absolutely stuck for about 15 years with my Ancestor George Hood of Selby, Yorkshire, who has no circa 1785 to 1787 Selby Birth/Baptism. 

Also, despite checking numerous Burial Registers at Borthwick, York and Beverley Archives as well, for Selby, surrounding Parishes and other parishes, I cannot find a burial place either, for George Hood’s death at Selby on 18th September 1845 aged 60 (but calculating from Marriage entry and Allegation/Bond would give 58/59 years).

George Hood’s 1846 Will, nor his Probate Bundle, nor his Selby Yorkshire property Registration copies, are of no help. His September 1845 Yorkshire newspaper Death entries are no help either.

There was a Burial reference to a John Hood at Selby, Yorkshire (Buried Selby April 1819, Abode Selby, aged 82), who was probably the same John Hood married to “Jane wife of John Hood of Selby, Mariner” (this Jane was buried Selby 15 August 1803, aged 65).

I can't rule out a Borders / Scottish connection either and found the following George Hood Birth/ Baptism ...

1st October 1786 Monymusk, Aberdeenshire

1. Does it seem if this George Hood born Monymusk died locally please?

2. Any burial and also M.I. for a George Hood which would coincide with an 18th September 1845 death please?

or perhaps this one:

19th May 1786 of Grange, Rhynd, Perthshire

1. Does it seem if this George Hood born Rhynd died locally please?

2. Any burial and also M.I. for a George Hood which would coincide with an 18th September 1845 death please?

Thank you, Mark

Moderator comment: Other posts on the same topic can be found here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756541.msg6063564#msg6063564

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754237.msg6063323#msg6063323

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is my George Hood from Monymusk Aberdeenshire or Rhynd Perthshire please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 September 16 18:48 BST (UK) »
What was George's occupation? What does the 1841 census say about his origins?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 16 22:33 BST (UK) »
You don't mention any 1841 entry?

The only George Hood in Selby was aged 50 married to Sarah.  Allowing for the 1841 rounding down of ages, he could have been 54.  Entry shows him as "born in county"
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
What was George's occupation? What does the 1841 census say about his origins?

George Hood age 50 Brewer b   Yorkshire, England

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 06:13 BST (UK) »
In view of the last two posts and the lack of any positive evidence pointing to Scotland, I think you can rule out the Monymusk/Rhynd Hoods.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 October 16 20:53 BST (UK) »
In view of the last two posts and the lack of any positive evidence pointing to Scotland, I think you can rule out the Monymusk/Rhynd Hoods.

Hi GR2

It more for elimination if a marriage or burial can be found for above George Hood from Monymusk

1792 Richard Gibson marriage 1792 (birth 1766) a Cooper of Wren Lane Selby father Thomas Gibson from Newcatstle on Tyne

1800 Richard Gibson cooper Wren Lane Selby was advertising for an assistant cooper for his business in newspaper

1807 Richard Gibson a cooper of Wren Lane Selby went bankrupt

1810 Richard Gibson a cooper of Wren Lane Selby got a certificate for his bankruptcy

1811 Richard Gibson a cooper of Wren Lane Selby  Land tax Record then disappears
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1812 George Hood appeared in Selby Yorkshire England in 1812 Land tax Record

1815 George Hood b 1787 a cooper of Wren lane Selby marries Sarah Russel of Selby

1818 Trade Dirctory has George Hood a cooper of Wren lane Selby and his wife Sarah Hood a Straw Hat maker in Selby

Then various Trade Dirctories have George Hood as a Cooper, Tanner and Brewer

George and Sarah Hood had a few children in Selby

George and Sarah Hood on 1841c

George Hood died 1845 aged 60

George Hood had 4 unmarried adult children who died of TB consumption in the 1850's

Sarah Hood nee Russel died 1879 aged 86

All above the  6 Hood deaths records in the GRO but no burials can be found in Selby or near parishes and No record of George Hood's origins before 1812 only his marriage age of 28 (= birth 1787) in 1815 marriage by licence to Sarah Russel. can be found
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 October 16 11:30 BST (UK) »
George Hood isn't an especially uncommon name. There are 171 deaths of George Hoods in the index to statutory registration of deaths in Scotland.

In the 1841 census there are at least 8 George Hoods born 1787 plus or minus ten years in Scotland, and there are others in England.

Given that the 1841 census says he was born in Yorkshire, and that there is no other evidence to connect him with Scotland, I think you may be clutching at straws.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 16 14:14 BST (UK) »
I think Mark should have posted a request of help to try too locate George Hood's wife Sarah Hood's burial 1879 which was 34 years after George's death: the obvious probable reason is she was buried with her husband being she never remarried and stayed loyal to him with their family.

George died of normal heart problems 1845, his unknown children's burials where of TB consumption 1850's.

From 1832 till about 1860 there was periodic epidemics of cholera, typhoid and TB consumption with a cholera burial ground 1949 onwards, so its possible some bodies went as unrecorded burials but by 1879 things were normal conditions.

Just a thought.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth