Author Topic: Is my George Hood from Coldingham, Berwickshire, please?  (Read 2235 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Is my George Hood from Coldingham, Berwickshire, please?
« on: Monday 26 September 16 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been absolutely stuck for about 15 years with my Ancestor George Hood of Selby, Yorkshire, who has no circa 1785 to 1787 Selby Birth/Baptism. 

Also, despite checking numerous Burial Registers at Borthwick, York and Beverley Archives as well, for Selby, surrounding Parishes and other parishes, I cannot find a burial place either, for George Hood’s death at Selby on 18th September 1845 (aged 60, but calculating from Marriage entry and Allegation/Bond would give 58/59 years).

George Hood’s 1846 Will, nor his Probate Bundle, nor his Selby Yorkshire property Registration copies, are of no help. His September 1845 Yorkshire newspaper Death entries are no help either. 

There was a Burial reference to a John Hood at Selby, Yorkshire (Buried Selby April 1819, Abode Selby, aged 82), who was probably the same John Hood married to “Jane wife of John Hood of Selby, Mariner” (this Jane was buried Selby 15 August 1803, aged 65).

I can't rule out a Borders / Scottish connection either and found the following George Hood Birth:-

24th October 1787 Brockholes, Coldingham, Berwickshire

1. Does it seem if this George Hood born Coldingham died locally please?

2. Any burial and also M.I. for a George Hood which would coincide with an 18th September 1845 death please?

Thank you, Mark

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
Re: Is my George Hood from Coldingham, Berwickshire, please?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 October 16 09:17 BST (UK) »
I can't rule out a Borders / Scottish connection either and found the following George Hood Birth:-

Son of John Hood and Alison Fife? He's my relative, and he died in 1814. There's a family gravestone for this family at Coldingham, and this George is commemorated on there, dying on 30th March 1814 aged 25. Age slightly out with the birth, but close enough to be the 1787 baptism. And matching parents. By then John Hood was tenant in Oldcambus Townhead. He died in 1816, and his wife Alison Fife in 1820. All according to the same family gravestone.

So this isn't your George. Sorry!

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 October 16 13:46 BST (UK) »

Son of John Hood and Alison Fife? He's my relative, and he died in 1814. There's a family gravestone for this family at Coldingham, and this George is commemorated on there, dying on 30th March 1814 aged 25. Age slightly out with the birth, but close enough to be the 1787 baptism. And matching parents. By then John Hood was tenant in Oldcambus Townhead. He died in 1816, and his wife Alison Fife in 1820. All according to the same family gravestone.

Hi

Thank you very much, it is very good, to be able to rule your George out.

Regards and best wishes with your research, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 December 16 12:02 GMT (UK) »

Just out of interest, are you related to the Cockburn-Hood family of Stoneridge?

I noticed several remarks, one in the House of Cockburn by Thomas H. Cockburn-Hood, with reference to repairs of the Priory of Coldingham.

John Cockburn - Hood, was formerly John Hood of Stoneridge Esquire, Berwickshire, ... "assumed the name of Cockburn in addition to and before that of Hood;" ...
The Records of the Cockburn Family

My Hood
According to the naming of the Grandsons, of my mysterious ancestor George Hood (married Sarah Russell at Selby, Yorkshire 1815), I'm looking for a HOOD, associated with the surnames of:-
COOK
PEARSON
ALFRED

I am looking again at Newcastle upon Tyne, as a Mr J. B. Pearson was located at the Quayside, Newcastle, in 1825.

Also a John Hood (Master) had sailed the "MARY" back from Inverness to Newcastle Quay in November 1782. The vessel was also known as the MARY of Inverness, suggesting the vessel may have been plying the Inverness - Shields / Newcastle route.

Two 1782 scans here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.43

Newcastle vessels were registered at Shields, but the incomplete Muster Rolls for Shields and other Northern Ports, in BT 98 Series Reference (TNA, Kew), does not seem to have a surviving Muster Roll for the voyage of the Mary with John Hood, as Master.

Perhaps, registered at Inverness?

Although, I cannot prove the October 1786 George Hood, Baptism at Gateshead St Mary's was my George Hood, or not, as the Parish Register (accordng to T & W Archives) has no more detail, than the online B.T. image on Family Search.

Regards Mark

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 December 16 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Just out of interest, are you related to the Cockburn-Hood family of Stoneridge?

Not as far as I know. They're not in my very extensive Hood family tree that I've put together, and checking quickly it looks as though the Hood of Stoneridge line was descended from Hoods of Hoodsland and Hardacres.

Most Hood land-owning families in the Coldingham area then were related to me. So it's rather unusual this one isn't!

As far as I know anyway. There may be a link back in the 1500s or 1600s, probably untraceable.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 December 16 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Regards Mark