Author Topic: Mounteen in Gowran  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mounteen in Gowran
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 September 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
It's easier if names were mentioned.
Blauchville is a name of a chap, he lives in Kilkenny.
Mounteen is also an name.
Names would help.
Maggsie

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 September 16 17:09 BST (UK) »
It would also, I think, help the OP to understand what a townland is
http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Irish-land-divisions.html
That is, that it is not a town, although some of course have towns in them, and often the town straddles more than one townland.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 September 16 23:40 BST (UK) »
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635322#page/145/mode/1up

Is this one of them?    27 oct 1850   right hand page    2nd last entry

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you "hallmark", "Sinann", "Maggsie" & "conahy calling" for your suggestions and comments.

Sorry I did not mention the actual names for my ancestors. I am probably being paranoid but I have someone who seems to just follow my every move copying my results.

I am not a paid member of Find My Past but took advantage of a recent free session for Irish records. I then followed a link to the Catholic registers at http://registers.nli.ie//registers. It was here that I confirmed the marriage of my gg grandparents & baptisms of two of their children.

"hallmark" has the correct marriage and "conahy calling" has the second baptism which includes the word maybe Cleat or is it Scart as suggested by "Sinann". The second baptism is at http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635322#page/129/mode/1up. The baptism is potentially of my great grandmother on 23rd September 1845.

Thanks "Sinann" for clarifying the word "witnesses". I thought it odd it was on each of the lines who I thought were the witnesses. I can see the word now that you have described the composition of it with the old double 's'.

I am yet to find the last child who should have been born either in 1853 or 1854. Her name is Catherine and is listed on the shipping record in the category "1 & under" and born Kilkenny. The ship arrived in Australia in September 1854 after leaving Portsmouth England 3rd June 1854.

I have not found her in the Gowran Catholic baptisms but consider that she may have been born & baptised in another area whilst the family travelled to catch a boat to England. Do you think that they would have caught a boat at Dublin?

If I can find Catherine then I think I have the correct family.

Best wishes from a very wet Australia,
DMR
LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 15:00 BST (UK) »
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=KK&regno=12310024

This link has an image of current RC church in Gowran built 1880s.  Information given says it was built on site of earlier RC Church. In my opinion that is the likely place the baptisms took place.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 20:18 BST (UK) »
hi,
I have not found her in the Gowran Catholic baptisms but consider that she may have been born & baptised in another area whilst the family travelled to catch a boat to England. Do you think that they would have caught a boat at Dublin?
More than likely the ship left Portsmouth and went to several ports in Ireland and then on to Australia.
As did the Titanic. Left Southampton went to Cork, well Roche's Point as it was too big to go into Cork.
Maggsie

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 23:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again "conah calling" & "Maggsie".

"conah calling" I will cross my fingers that the church you have found might be the one. Thanks for the link. What do you think the place name says on James' baptism. Is it Cleart? or something else?

"Maggsie", I did a bit of searching last night again for this family and Catherine's baptism and it looks like Bauchvilletown was maybe in the Clara parish. Clara and Gowran being combined until 1852. Catherine being born after 1852 might mean she was baptised in the Clara parish. Looking online there are no records available for Clara on Catholic Parish Registers.

'Maggsie" thanks for putting me straight on how my family may have caught the boat. I had not considered that although the boat left Portsmouth it would pick up individuals at ports in Ireland. From what I can tell this boat had many Irish immigrants who travelled under the Bounty Scheme of that time. Would Dublin then be the closest port?

Best wishes,
DMR
LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 08:14 BST (UK) »
I agree with Sinann that place name on James baptism could be Scart.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlkik/twlnd/barogowr.htm

Link with list of townlands -  "Scart" occurs in a number of parishes in the general area.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 10:51 BST (UK) »
Ok, just logged in, re-read all the info.
I have them.
Mary born 12st Sept 1847 in Balnchfields Town Gowran  (I think that should be Blanchfields)
James born in Scart Baptised 27th Oct 1850
No results for Catherine in any site
As you don't want some person to see the records I will send them Private ok.
Maggsie