Author Topic: Stolen war medal  (Read 5032 times)

Online chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Stolen war medal
« on: Monday 26 September 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
My OH was distressed to find that her father's war medals seemed to be missing when we returned from a year abroad in 1992. We didn't suspect the tenants (the medals were well hidden in a trunk in the boxroom) and she thought maybe she'd misremembered where she'd put them, but they never turned up over the years.

Now we find that one of the medals - a gallantry medal, unlike the others which were more standard - has just been sold for £250 by Harland's of Hartlepool www.harlandmilitaryantiques.com. She has expressed an interest in the other medals if they turn up, but the point is these are legally hers (she was an only child, her widowed father left her everything).

So my question is, are Harland's a reputable firm? Shouldn't they contact the buyer about this, and hope they behave honorably, and also get the vendor investigated? It isn't about the money, she's willing to pay to get the medal back - but the police have far more important things to do than investigate crimes like this. She's emailed them but no reply so far (early days).

I realise this may belong on the Military board but I'd like to get it much viewed here first.  Chris

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen war medal
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 September 16 14:38 BST (UK) »
Playing Devil's Advocate here:

If you were out of the country for a year, you have absolutely no idea whether the medals were sold, or given away.

I think you're on a hiding to nothing?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 16 14:46 BST (UK) »
Playing Devil's Advocate here:

If you were out of the country for a year, you have absolutely no idea whether the medals were sold, or given away.

I think you're on a hiding to nothing?

I realise it's a long shot but I wanted to know if anyone had experience of Harland's and whether they might be willing to contact the buyer - no guarantees they'd be co-operative of course. Legal position is clear.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 16 14:57 BST (UK) »
There was a story in the papers last week where some stolen letters had turned up in auction.  The buyer received a communication from the auction house to say they were now suspected as stolen during a burglary some 20 years before .... as it turned out, the owners and the buyers published the letters as part of a book on wartime correspondence.

But, your starting point will be with the auction house.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 16 15:11 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid that they are almost certainly not legally hers (morally may be ...).

The first question would be "were the medals ever reported as stolen ?"  .... if not, and the buyer paid the market price (which is pretty much certain at an auction) then the legal position is very much on the buyers side. Whoever put them into the auction may be the last in a long line of owners since 1992 (or whenever) so may be completely innocent of any wrongdoing as well.

However, you would hope the buyer will show some understanding of the situation and at least offer them back to you..

Your first call has to be to the auction house.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 September 16 15:45 BST (UK) »
In writing rather than email.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Online chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 September 16 16:25 BST (UK) »
In writing rather than email.

Imber

Good point, although an email had gone even before I got involved. We hadn't got an address then: we do now - they've only been going since 2010 and seem to be run from a suburban house. However, at least they're not hiding behind a PO Box number or dead letter box.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 September 16 16:59 BST (UK) »
Looking at the website they appear to be standard buy/sell dealer trading from home rather than an auction house.

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 15:31 BST (UK) »
My OH was distressed to find that her father's war medals seemed to be missing when we returned from a year abroad in 1992. We didn't suspect the tenants (the medals were well hidden in a trunk in the boxroom) and she thought maybe she'd misremembered where she'd put them, but they never turned up over the years.

Now we find that one of the medals - a gallantry medal, unlike the others which were more standard - has just been sold for £250 by Harland's of Hartlepool www.harlandmilitaryantiques.com. She has expressed an interest in the other medals if they turn up, but the point is these are legally hers (she was an only child, her widowed father left her everything).

So my question is, are Harland's a reputable firm? Shouldn't they contact the buyer about this, and hope they behave honorably, and also get the vendor investigated? It isn't about the money, she's willing to pay to get the medal back - but the police have far more important things to do than investigate crimes like this. She's emailed them but no reply so far (early days).

I realise this may belong on the Military board but I'd like to get it much viewed here first.  Chris

I would contact Harland and tell them that the medals belong to you, and you gave no legal right for them to be sold.

If you have a copy of a will or details it will help. Also contact the police. To many people mess around, not doing anything. Tell the police medals that belong to you have been sold in an auction.

Dont worry about the police being busy, we are all busy. Its what they get paid for.