Author Topic: Image retrieved from a Plate  (Read 5852 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Image retrieved from a Plate
« on: Sunday 24 July 05 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Amongst some papers and photographs, I found 2 black squares about  1 1/2" square. Using my scanner I managed to find two images one of a baby in a high chair and one of my Grandparents before they married.

This is the best I can get, is there anything more that can be done ?

Anyway here it is....
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Image retrieved from a Plate
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 05 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Black Sheep,

I must learn more about filters - so this is the best I can do - as you say it is low resolution( well that's my excuse!!)

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 05 05:51 BST (UK) »
Amongst some papers and photographs, I found 2 black squares about  1 1/2" square. Using my scanner I managed to find two images one of a baby in a high chair and one of my Grandparents before they married.

Hi Black Sheep,
  Are these negatives you have?
I had a quick go at your image,  but I'm not sure it's an  improvement.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 05 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Black Sheep

After many filters - this one was and is difficult in PSP9

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 July 05 23:04 BST (UK) »

Here is a picture of what I scanned.....

It is about 2" x 3" in size.

black sheep
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 July 05 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Black Sheep,

It would be better if you could scan it at a higher resolution - excuses - excuses!!
But 7bits for a photo is nothing!

I think this is worse than the original!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 July 05 23:28 BST (UK) »
Wow, that looks like a tintype!  You are very lucky to have such a late example...keep it safe and sound!!
Prue

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 July 05 23:42 BST (UK) »

sorry keith, my scanner is bust so this was a photo taken of the original I scanned about 2 years ago and had a play with.

I shall have to wait untill I get my scanner fixed.....

Prue, excuse my ignorance but what is tintype ???? I also have another similar size but it is taken of the ladies sister over 30 years previous about 1908-ish. It is of a baby sat in an old high chair.

black sheep

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 July 05 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi black sheep,

A tintype is a photograph which instead of being on paper is on a sheet of iron. 

The iron is painted black, then the photographic emulsion (in this case collodion) containing light-sensitive materials is poured onto the surface, and then the whole lot is put into the camera.  When the photograph had been taken, the plate was removed from the camera and processed and dried.
In actual fact, a tintype is a negative image, but because it's on a black background, it looks positive.  :o  Confusing, but if you think about what you normally put into a camera (at least before our wonderful digital ones came along!!!), it's negatives.  We have to send the negs away to be processed, and then have positives printed from them.  With tintypes, instead of putting a strip of plastic in the camera, you put a piece of metal.

With tintypes, you get one image and that's that - another reason to take good care of them if you are lucky enought to own one!!

Tintypes were invented in the 1850s and were very popular, but were used decreasingly between about 1900 and the 1940s when they died out altogether, so you have a late example and a "mid term" example in your collection.

Prue