Author Topic: John Joseph Ross and Catherine Ross (Langan)  (Read 2455 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Joseph Ross and Catherine Ross (Langan)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 September 16 15:20 BST (UK) »

... It's a real shame the address is unreadable from the side of the record, but hopefully with the names, I'll be able to find a match to the address ... 

Hopefully other opinions will be forthcoming on this, but I'm not seeing an address like the other marriage entries, I'm seeing what looks like Married on Declaration followed underneath by the word Travellers, but if correct, I don't know what this means.

(For comparison / corroboration, the phrase Married on declaration also seems to appear on that same page against the marriage entry immediately below for Thos. Quinn and Anne Langan.)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 October 16 20:59 BST (UK) »
I read it as Travellers also- probably Travellers of no fixed abode who married there?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 October 16 21:25 BST (UK) »
Gaffy, that's absolutely top notch research and I'm indebted to your assistance.  Thank you very much. 

It's a real shame the address is unreadable from the side of the record, but hopefully with the names, I'll be able to find a match to the address. 

Thanks again for your great work. 
this one? 
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jr9355

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 October 16 10:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your replies. 

I was referring to this part. Now that 'travellers' has been mentioned, I can't see anything other than 'travellers'!

The story of this family is that after they were married, they had a child baptised in Belfast in 1855, then another in 1860 at the same St Patricks in Belfast but one was baptised in Dublin St Nicholas (without). They were on the Glasgow 1871 census and had two children whilst they were there.  The whole family then moved to Springfield, MA in the USA - apart from my g.g.granddad who stayed in Scotland.  However his poor relief form showed that he spent 7 months in America, probably visiting the family.

The family went on to do quite well in America, but my g.g.grandfather didn't fair so well and died of TB at 30 in Govan poorhouse.  His children were in and out of the poorhouse after his death.

Am I correct in thinking that the marriage is supposed to in the bride's hometown?  It would also make sense that the Langan's are there as witnesses/sponsors. 

Enc - an example from a few pages down.  It think it does say travellers.